Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Variegated Foxglove?

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Hi, this foxglove is one of many self-sown plants that have appeared in this garden - all the others are (or appear to be) the usual Digitalis purpurea.  I didn't notice anything different about it last year, but this spring I noticed the leaf markings, and have been watching to see what happened. 

Have you seen one like this before?  What do you think?

Sorry they're on their sides image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• addictaddict Posts: 659

Wow! No, haven't looks really pretty. Remember to collect the seed image 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Yes, but it's going to be cross-pollinated with all the others isn't it?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• addictaddict Posts: 659

“Sports”, breaks or chimeras can arrive by freaks of nature. A mutation occurs causing a random change in the plants’ chromosomes brought about by insect damage, the weather or other factors. If you see a different flower, habit or leaf you can email the RHS ([email protected]) – they will put you in touch with nurseries looking for new plants.

Copied that for you image get in touch and see what they say. 

Thanks addict - will do image

Don't know why the other pics don't work Verdun image - I can see them - I'll try again tomorrow - going up the wooden hill now.

Sleep tight everyone - sweet dreams.image

• Hi - I've got one like this - I assumed it was the dry border it was in - will be taking seed though!

• Copied from another site.

The most common variegation encountered in cultivated plants is not naturally genetic, however, but due to aberrant mutations in the chromosomes of the growing, or meristematic tissues.  Seed from these plants will usually not germinate into another variegated plant, though in some situations, the frequency of variegation is definitely increased over the random norm.  In most of these variegated cultivated plants, the variegation mutation is bred for by selecting for the best foliage or flower variants.  This is done by division or other forms of vegetative propagation (such as growing new plants from stem cuttings... root cuttings will usually not result in any more variegated plants than one would encounter randomly).  Many of these mutated variants are consistent from generation to generation, but others are completely random.  These non-natural mutations are known as chimeras, or the combining of two different chromosomal make-ups in a single organism (in this case, cells that do not produce pigment alongside with those that do).  These can be fairly consistent from leaf to leaf, or sometimes the variegation will show up randomly on the plant with some variegated leaves or branches here and none there. 

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3423/#ixzz2ZFmq5eio

Trying to post the pic of the flowers again for Verdun 

Hopefully that's worked too!

I've emailed a query to the RHS to see what they make of them.

Verdun, not sure if there's any potential cuttings material - just the mainstem and leaves off - I'll have a rootle around this evening when I get home from work and see if there's any sideshoots.  image