21 to 40 of 58 messages
15/05/2013 at 13:57

Hi Verdun, thanks for such great suggestions, just gone and had a look at some aconitums, there's a gorgeous one called stainless steel I might give a try.  Being a real novice in the garden, I like the fact that they're hardy, and do pretty well for themselves once established.  I can always get some more verbena for another part of the garden, or, if I'm very lucky and mine do actually grow, I could transplant them.

Really appreciate all the help folks, your so friendly on this forum

15/05/2013 at 15:10

Hi WG- I'm south of glasgow too and have grown verb. bon frequently. If you have them in a free enough draining part of the garden they will probably be fine. It's our cold wet windy weather that they don't like too well! A bit of grit added to the soil will help them no end and we just have to accept that up here things are a bit behind everyone else...

Don't listen to that Verdun...he'll have you out buying hellebores and allsorts....

I am kidding by the way- he's a mine of information

15/05/2013 at 15:35

Hi Fairygirl, ta muckle, it's good to know that they've done well for you being from the same-ish area...you're so right about things being a good bit behind here.  Mind you, my Mum's 1100ft up on moorland just south of Edinburgh, and still getting snow flurries....brrrr...so I can't complain too much, lol.

Just recently bought some hellebores, lol   Joking aside, thanks for helping this novice, but, fast becoming obsessive gardener

15/05/2013 at 16:17

Wild g. I believe Aconitum is very poisonous, also known as wolfbane or monkshood I believe. I have some, but don't have small children around. I lose my Verbena B. each year here in the Fens, that is why I collected seedlings last Autumn, see previous post above.

15/05/2013 at 16:51

Hi artjak, the only kid around in my garden nowadays is this here big kid, lol

It must be a beautiful place to live, near the fens?

15/05/2013 at 17:37

Hiya wildgardener

I grow stainless steel too....absolutely lovely.  Make sure it doesnt dry out in summer. Hey. You sound like a classy guy with excellent taste....hellebores are a favourite of mine.

That Fairygirl......what's she like?  Just cos her wand failed its MOT.  

Had 18 degrees today.  Absolutely perfect day.  Got lot planting done today too

15/05/2013 at 17:52

Verdun, I think I'm going to be sick It has rained almost non stop here today and we are supposed to be dryest part of UK!

15/05/2013 at 18:01

Artjak. When you get your summer heat wave we will have the rolling mists instead. We have had mild winter though when it seems like most of the Country didn't fare so well.  And it's still generally cool with coldish nights....not really late may weather.  But have enjoyed it today outside.

15/05/2013 at 18:05

Trading my wand in Verd- when it's not working it has to go...did the same with the car...and the husband....

Been good here today -done lots.

16/05/2013 at 06:49

Mornin' all

I think my hubby would be a bit shocked to hear his missus is a classy guy, lol   Handle not much of a clue right enough Verdun...ta muchly for the compliment though

Hope you got a good deal on your trade-ins Fairygirl, lol

Weather was a mix of lovely and awful here....we had hail showers here artjak...welcome to BST...dare I say it....it can only get better....furiously touching hairy wood.....

16/05/2013 at 07:57

Hi, last year just one verb bon came up in my garden rather late. I dug it up at end of season and potted it up and placed in greenhouse its now about 2"  will plant it out soon. Might do same this year.  Also sewn some seed but only at 2 leaf stage at moment  will plant them out in summer  if it ever arrives!

16/05/2013 at 08:00

Aliesh- if is dead right! It was like early March here the other day! More like spring yesterday and today. My verbs are pretty small too but a bit of better weather and they'll come away I'm sure. No idea where I'm putting them though ..

16/05/2013 at 13:42

A 'dead' verbena B. that I dug up and threw into a pot 4 weeks ago has started to sprout!

16/05/2013 at 13:44

I sat mine outside this morning when I left for work....they are now out in the hail and sleet...

16/05/2013 at 22:13

FairyG, have you really got sleet at the moment?

17/05/2013 at 00:21

Artjak, Fairygirl waved her  magic wand.

Its pretty cold here tonight.  Nothing like mid May.  Must be 5 degrees.  Hope it doesn't get any colder....all my tender perennials, runner beans etc are outside now

17/05/2013 at 09:38

Sorry fell asleep at 8 last night...

Yes-sleet, hail rain and sun! Scottish weather at it's finest art! All seasons in one day...

And the verbs got left out all night.....

but are fine....

17/05/2013 at 10:48

Fairygirl, are the nouns ok?

17/05/2013 at 19:32

artjak

17/05/2013 at 19:43

I just got that art....I'mgetting old...

Older I should say....

21 to 40 of 58 messages