London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 58 messages
14/05/2013 at 19:59

Hello everyone,

I've got a lot of little Verbena B seedlings in a couple of small seed trays. They are growing but seem to be very slow. They are still tiny but many have 3 sets of leaves. Is this rate of growth normal for them?

The trays aren't the best and the soil is a bit compacted....but they are growing. Do you think it's best to pot on? will this speed up their growth?

Thanks for any information

14/05/2013 at 20:02

I don't know if it's normal hollie hock but it's how mine are. Waiting for some warmth perhaps.

14/05/2013 at 20:04

They will zoom soon. They are not an early flowerer.

14/05/2013 at 20:16

Hiya holly

Bonariensis does grow slowly right now....seedligas, young plants and mature plants are only just beginning to quicken in growth.  

Only pot on when you see roots at bottom of the tray otherwise leave them for now.  However, pot on into small pots when these roots are seen and pot on again when roots are visible.  They will grow vigorously very suddenly with greater day length and extra warmth.  I add plenty of perlite in compost mix for bonariensis.

14/05/2013 at 20:21

Thanks nut, they seem so small, took  2 months to germinate them so don't want to lose them. I'm finding it hard to believe that they will grow into  tall plants with flowers this year.

Will leave them be as they are growing where they are and just keep adding water

14/05/2013 at 20:27

Mine are tiny too hollie - sown at end of March and still in kitchen. Only looking as if they've put on growth in the last week really. This is the first time I've sewn them early -usually just chuck them outside  around this time of year!

14/05/2013 at 20:38

Thanks everyone, sounds like this is what they do........not ever grown them before

14/05/2013 at 20:44

Wouldn't be watering them too much right now.  I've only ever lost them through over watering.

14/05/2013 at 20:51

Hi Holly,

Why not try a little experiment and re-pot a few and see how they grow in comparison to the others. Just put them outside in a light warm spot under cover and see how they do?

I`ve got all of mine outside in a plastic growhouse and those that I potted on early, approx. a month ago are, between 6 and 9 inches high with a good spread now and doing pretty well. If you have plenty it`s always worth a go, good luck.

14/05/2013 at 21:00

Thanks Dan, I do have a few. Just that they seem so small that even the smallest pot would dwarf them. What did you put them in? Sounds like it has worked for you

14/05/2013 at 21:04

Hi Holly,

Try and choose a few with a little more growth and try them straight into 3 inch pots, keep them moist but not too wet and just see how they do, you have little to lose but could gain valuable knowledge for the future.

14/05/2013 at 21:06

I'm going to give it a go, thanks

15/05/2013 at 07:51

I have never tried to grow them from seed, but last Autumn I collected all the little self-seeded plants; about 3" high from around the garden, potted them in 8" pots several to a pot and kept them in the G/H over winter. I planted the 4 clumps out a month ago and they are just starting to get new growth in the centres. I agree it is still too nippy to see them leap up.

15/05/2013 at 11:27
Verdun wrote (see)

Hiya holly

Bonariensis does grow slowly right now....seedligas, young plants and mature plants are only just beginning to quicken in growth.  

Only pot on when you see roots at bottom of the tray otherwise leave them for now.  However, pot on into small pots when these roots are seen and pot on again when roots are visible.  They will grow vigorously very suddenly with greater day length and extra warmth.  I add plenty of perlite in compost mix for bonariensis.

Hi, I'm new to the forums so please forgive me if I've asked this question in the wrong area.

I planted V. bonariensis last Spring and they grew brilliantly, however, even though I didn't cut the plants back, there's absolutely no sign of any new growth.  Do you think it's still early yet, or, have I lost them?  I'm just South of Glasgow if that helps.  Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

15/05/2013 at 11:58

They won't have liked all the wet of last year followed by thelong cold winter W-G. A few have survived in very well drained parts of my garden. The survivors never truly disappear in winter for me. Mostly I find I do better with growing from seed each year.

15/05/2013 at 12:07

Thanks nutcutlet,  My garden has been especially wet and cold, so I think I'll just replace them with something that's happeir in those conditions.  Any suggestions for something of similar stature and good for the buzzies?

15/05/2013 at 12:08

"happier" even, lol

15/05/2013 at 12:57

Don't be too quick to discard last years. Mine have just started sprouting from the base. I guess we're warmer in Nottingham than Glasgow. Hardy annual  seedlings are only just germinating,I guess we're at least a month behind last year.

15/05/2013 at 13:00

Okay, thanks fidgetbones, will give them a bit longer.  Fingers crossed, touch hairy wood and all that.

15/05/2013 at 13:25

Wild gardener how about aconitum?  Tall, sturdy, blue flowers, bee attractive and likes bit more moisture.

Theres nothing quite like bonariensis is there though wild gardener?  Why not buy a couple of replacements....they're not too hard to get or pricey...and grow them for the summer?  Contrary to general belief bonariensis actually likes a bit of moisture in the summer.   So grow them again with a view to summer display 

1 to 20 of 58 messages