Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 24 replies

Matty2

I have some over grown and out of controll verbena bonariensis. I would love to dig it up but it has beed deignated (by daughter) as one of the flowers for he wedding.

I know it can be propagated by seed but can taking side shoot cuttings work as well.?

Then I can get rid of the messy plants

punkdoc

Yes, the shoots coming off from the leaf axils can be used for cuttings.

fidgetbones

I've taken side shoots off and they root quite quickly. I had to cut plants down in March, by May I had extra plants to put out from all the side shoots.

Not your question Matty but I'm currently digging up and potting self sown bonariensis seedlings......just as I do every year.  I rarely keep plants for more than one year....seedlings seem to make better flowering  plants.

Matty2

Thanks all

I will need a lot of flowers but not next year. Next year is experimenting to see how I can get the most.

But

these Verb Bon did get so untidy I have to do something rather than keep the original plants.

I was hoping for seedlings but no sign of them

Advertisement

Yviestevie

I dont grow verb bon because of how tall it gets but I have planted verb lollipop this year and its really lovely just as attractive but much shorter.

Pete8

My v. bon have reached 7ft this year and has turned into a thicket and hiding everything behind, but it does look impressive. Seedlings everywhere, so I'll dig up the main plant in autumn and replant the seedlings somewhat further back in the border.
I found the seedlings from last year didn't appear until may/june this year,but they are already about 3' tall.

I've also got V rigida which I thought I'd lost but it started popping up in June and now in flower. I'm hoping to get a good batch of rigida as it looks so good planted under some Falstaff roses I have

Matty2

I have rigida and mine did not appear until really late as well, lovely and bright. I have it with Bishop of llanduff and it goes really well. Then again I don't go for subtle.

Bonariensis also benefits from being pinched out when young and again in May time to,produce  shorter. (still tall) amd stronger flowerimg plants. ,

Matty, bonariensis is often sold as young plants in early spring in garden centres ...??

Matty2

But that costs and i can have them for free.

I have just taken 10 cuttings off the side shoots,. shall have to see.

If I have success I can ditch the originals in the spring, if not I still have them there as a base.

the idea originally was to have them like a lacey screen that moved and could be seen thru into the flower bed beyond, sort of worked but flower bed beyond is rubbish!!!

I grew verbena b from seed last year and planted out lots of small plants in spring of this year. So far they have grown tall but no flowers at all. Are they likely to flower now and if not will I just completely lose them this year?

I agree Matty.  Cuttings  are best if there is a lack of self sown seedlings.  Sooner the better and I would use a gritty or perlite rich compost.  And nice long reasonably thick ones too. 

good luck Matty

hollie hock

Hi Matty I have some of my original plants from a couple of years ago. They survived the last mild wet Winter. I've just taken some cuttings, first time I've tried it. I stuck them into some compost in my greenhouse.

I can only wish for self sowings,mind you I'm leaving some of the flower heads to go to seed in that hope

Matty2

I made a sort of mistake as I have now learnt that Goldfinches can feed on the seed heads in winter. Should have left one standing

BUT I will know for next year!

Always learning aren't we Matty?

Advertisement

Fairygirl

Gill - you probably won't  get any flowers this year but they should come back next year and be stronger plants. In some areas they're not hardy, but if they're in decent free draining soil and reasonably sheltered they should come through. They like a sunny site so if they're in  shade that might be why they're not flowering too. 

AlexS

They self-seed very freely into our gravel path, from where I've pulled up young plants and replanted them elsewhere. So  if growing from seed I'd use a very gritty potting mexture. I've also found cuttings very easy: I just cut off a stem beneath a leaf node and stick it in the ground without any ceremony - water it in and away we go.  

Lyn

And if all else fails....how many do you want.

Thanks for the reply Fairy. I'm so disappointed after nurturing the seedlings all through the winter to have not one flower. They are planted I all different conditions- some inshade, but many in sun, so don't know what's wrong. Hope for better things next year then