Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Verbena

JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Sorry for clogging the forums this morning - my gardening enthusiasm at this time of year often overwhelms me!!

I have a large, beautiful verbena in my garden that I bought from the reduced bin and planted in September last year. Little did I realise until now that it's actually a frost tender perennial!!!

It looks just fine, no apparent frost damage. It is about 80cm tall, woody stems at the base with what looks like relatively new top growth.

My question is what should I do with it now?? Cut it back? Take some cuttings? or leave well alone?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Verbena bonariensis?

I'd leave it alone. They're borderline hardy and if we don't get anything worse than we've already had it will be OK. Some survive here most winters. 

The top may be protecting the bottom, cut that off in spring

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

image Verdun

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Thanks guys! Advice much appreciated image

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,719

I have never cut them back, they look quite pretty in winter

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I used to let them set seed, but now that has to be controlled. I removed over 50 from the path one day and potted them up then thought, I don't need another 50  verbena. Now they go into the compost bin.

Devon.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,719

Bring them to me!!!