Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Verdict....your new plants this year

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

How have your new plants performed this year?   The good and the bad?

Buddleia Ivory Buzz has been superb for me ...well pleased with it .  Recommend this one

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Hmmmm think mine was a new rose that I got end of last year? Does this count Verdun? It's a beauty and think calle elena or similar image

The most bad was three violas that done nowt! Not a flower in sight! 

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Loved rose the Fairyimage.  

Not keen on thalictrum elin - which grew to the promised 8 ft then flopped - no colour to speak of eitherimage

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

I've been very pleased with my foxgloves,even though they won't flower until next year. The Cosmos went berserk,loads of blooms and growing my own toms for the first time image

The downside....my Sunflowers which were a damp squib as ever they are when I try to grow them. I think I'll just give them a miss from now on. The Larkspur - looked great on the seed packet but a slug magnet and can't help thinking of them as a poor man's delphinium. I think maybe I was expecting too much... image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Sunflowers are very greedy hungry plants fishy, I grew them this year along the runner bean trench, it was filled with compost, muck and chicken pellets,  the sunflowers are absolutely fab, about 10ft +tall and loaded with flowers. 

I cant think of any one plant for this year, I am just thrilled when anything grows well for me.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Loved my agapanthus this year and also my white carnations called Memories, they look and smell beautiful. 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I've been really pleased with Anchusa Lodden Royalist beautiful shade of blue.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Dahlia HS Wink series have been retina searing bright, need sunglasses to look at them.

A rather nice purple perennial Lobelia, grown from seed, name unknown.

Scabious Chile black, suspect it wont last the winter though, so will need to sow more seeds next year.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • My white iris sibirica, bought from a certain discount store for £1 last year, were stunning in the spring/early summer. Snakeshead fritillaries growing in my front lawn in were lovely in March. But I think my overall favourite is a pale yellow aquilegia - think it might be Goldfinch, but not sure as grown from a packet of mixed seeds. Was still flowering in July! really big, pretty, buttery yellow flowers. Often the surprises delight me the most.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Verdun is that due to weather or is it short lived? I've taken some basal cuttings but they aren't looking too good, so I wonder if I should dig it up, split it  image    and over winter in GH.