Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Very short stemmed amaryllis

Izzy9Izzy9 Posts: 2

For quite a few years I've kept some Amaryllis in my porch, but eventually I had too many and it was untidy and I moved them to my poly tunnel (overwintering them in a frost free box). Last year they flowered magnificently in the poly tunnel and grew till they were bursting out of their pots, and there were many side shoots and baby bulbs. So in the autumn I divided them all and repotted them in what I hoped were suitable sized pots for the size of the various bulbs, and didn't really expect many flowers this year. But I've been surprised by the ones that have flowered because the flower stems are so short, with this one being the shortest of them all with the flower bursting from the bulb itself without a stem at all.  Can anyone explain what might be causing this?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Very unusual but still lovely. No idea what has happened though.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

According to this website:

"Stunted plants, flowers growing on short stems (out of their necks) and poor flower formation are usually caused by excessive watering prior to the initiation of top growth, nutrient-poor soil, improper storage conditions, and by under or over watering during plant growth. "

https://www.vanengelen.com/hamaryllis.html

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Izzy9Izzy9 Posts: 2

Thanks Bob, that's very helpful, I may have been guilty of giving too much water since they've been in the poly tunnel.