Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Viburnum Tinus

ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 627

I've had this for years and I keep it trimmed to about 5 feet tall and 3 feet wide.  I've just noticed the leaves on one half are covered in mildew.  I've never had mildew on any plant before !  What could have caused it and what can I do to get rid please ?  Thanks

• DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

Hi Eric's Mum.  Quite a few plants get powdery mildew at this time of year.

It's usually found on plants that do not have enough air circulation or light. Problems are worse when nights are cool and days are warm & humid.

Make sure your plants are spaced according to growing instructions, I'd also suggest always watering from below to keep water off the foliage. Apply fungicides according to label directions before problem gets too bad and always keep the area free from fallen leaves etc.  Hope this helps

• ERICS MUMERICS MUM Posts: 627
    Thanks, I didn't think about fungicide - to be honest I didn't associate mildew with fungus ! Also it has been overshadowed by a large cordyline which I trimmed back at the weekend so hopefully all will be well. Thanks for your help.