London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
11 messages
01/05/2013 at 13:48

Hi,

i have quite a large full shaded (morning sun til 12pm) area of the garden that id like to fill with some nice plants. having done a bit of research the above plants seem to be suitable for my situation, full shade/morning sun, heavy clay and acidic soil. just wondered if anyone had experience of growing these under similar circumstances, if so how do they do and if not any other suggestions to fill shaded areas?

id love cammelias there also, but as the area gets morning sun im not sure it would be suitable there.

01/05/2013 at 15:38

Periwinkles do very well, even the variegated variety. I've seen them thrive in really poor subsoil and rubble with no sun to speak of. Good luck!

03/05/2013 at 20:21

I planted two different periwinkles underneath a mature ceanothus 7 weeks ago; they are in almost identical conditions, perhaps getting 4/5hours of direct light during the day. The result? they've doubled in size & have a growing display of flowers, and 'scout' stems reaching out for pastures new!

For another choice, try a skimmia; I planted one into same soil conditions at least 6 years ago into an area that gets no direct sunlight. Im very proud of this plant, as it is now sporting a great dome shape, around 3.5ft h/w, but best of all, it's currently in glorious full bloom. When I sit outside, I get the wonderful scent from it at least 15ft away. 

03/05/2013 at 20:58

Djjjuk. Your site is hardly full shade....I assume you get 5 hours of sunshine or sunlight every day.  That's good enough for most plants, except  Mediterranean types, etc

No, Camelias won't like it there but azaleas, rhodododendrons, pieris, andromedas, and blue hydrangeas will.

Potentillas will cope with that situation as will many yellow foliage shrubs like berberis aureus. Choisya sundance and the yellow leaved mock orange.....they won't scorch in the late summer sun.

Aconitums will do well there......hellebores. Astrantias. Asters like frikartii monch and rudbekias like Goldsturn thrive there.  Acteas with their dark foliage and scented white or pink spires, astilbes.....well, most plants could be comsidered there

Scented shrubs like daphne and sarcoccoca will be fine too

03/05/2013 at 21:57

djjjuk, if you would really love a camelia then it may be worth a try.  My parents have a camelia which is in full sun and it flourishes.  An abundance of flowers every year.  My father-in-law also has one which gets the sun until about 2pm and that too seems very happy with its situation, again flowers abundantly.  Both are established shrubs.  Just remember I also had a camelia at a previous house which was in heavy clay soil and also got the morning sun and was also happy and healthy.  What is it 'they' say "rules are made to be broken"!

03/05/2013 at 22:03

The problem with camellias is if the fflower buds get frosted overnight then get the morning sun on them - the sudden thaw damages the buds and they turn brown.You can get around that by shielding them with a larger shrub planted on the eastern side of the camellia which will sheld it  from direct morning sun 

03/05/2013 at 22:09

If you want climbers ivy loves shade mine have birds nesting in them no sun at all 

03/05/2013 at 22:21

Thanks for enlightening me Dove,  have often wondered why camelias don't like morning sun.  It all makes sense now.  We live on a peninsula on north west coast and mostly by the time the camelia is in bud we don't usually get any significant frost.  So, that may explain why they flowers so beautifully where they are.  Although, I think I do recall my mum saying this year that the buds were blackened during that cold spell in march.

03/05/2013 at 23:04

Exactly.  Camelias are very tough plants.  The flowers and buds do not like freezing followed by quick thaw....which early morning sun provides.  Not worth risking Camelias for this reason

07/05/2013 at 08:31

We have a patch of garden along a fence that gets no direct sun.  I would like to plant something here, but have no ideas as to what, some tips would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance

07/05/2013 at 10:37

How big a patch?  Do you want short plants or tall?  What sort of soil? No direct sun but how much light?

email image
11 messages