Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Victoria plum tree growing!

Hello to anyone reading, I just ordered two victoria plum trees online bare root, I have researched as much as I can about the light level they require but am still unsure about it and dont want to plant them both and a few years down the line have no fruit! My garden is open on three sides with no shading but the back has 2 giant ash trees with an understory of damsons,lilacs,sycamore and young lawsons cypress. The sun disapears for nearly half of the day behind this wall and only returns briefly to set. Would my two plum trees grow behind this green wall and get enough light from the sun to produce lots of lovely plums? I fear my descripton may be a little bit confusing but I dont have any gardening friends to ask in person. Many thanks. Dean Alex.

• just bump for you dean, I'm sure someone will know. I got one myself about 3 weeks ago. I've put mine in a tub untill i do my front garden.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Not an expert, but we were advised to site all our fruit trees in full sun.  Try looking at the web pages of some fruit tree suppliers (we got ours from Ashridge, who have a really informative website, but there are Keepers and Brogdale too).

• Thank you everyone. I will give it ago.

• young man haha image well both bare root trees arrived tonight at about 8pm! via courier. So I will get them in tomorrow image

• I would think they are grafted as well, so should fruit well next year. image

• I've grown a V. plum in a slightly shady spot and it performed well.

However, one of the drawbacks of VPs is that they are prone to grow long slim branches and then crop so heavily that the branches bend and even snap with the weight.  

Growing in a shady spot can exaggerate this tendency, so be prepared to thin the crop (I know it breaks your heart but do it) and also, sometime between now and early summer you need to find some strong forked sticks  of appropriate heights to support the laden branches (like with clothes props) to prevent snapping.  

Ours fruited in the first year after planting. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I will thin the fruit when and if it does get lots of small fruit, I had to persuade my dad to thin his pear tree fruit as the branchs were bowing and 1 had snapped. In the end they all fell to the ground rock hard and small as they always do, so we removed the tree this year image