Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Views on Plant Combination - Black Elder & Clematis

TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

I have a Sambucus Nigra (Black Elder) - "Black Lace" - planted 3 or 4 years ago, which has grown well and is doing a good job as part of a tall shrub screen.

I cut it back to about 1m high every spring to maintain the shape and keep it under control but it still gets to 4m high and 3m wide by the end of summer. So far, so good. 

The only problem I have with it is I find the black leaves (which I planted it for!) can start to look a little dull and funereal from about mid summer onwards - mainly because of the sheer size of the plant.

I'm considering planting one (maybe even two) of the later flowering (perhaps viticella) clematis to grow through it. These could be cut back in spring when I cut the elder down and then grow up through the elder through the summer. My thoughts are that a pretty pale colour would just liven the whole thing up.

I'd be interested to hear if anybody has any thoughts as to whether or not this will work. In particular any real cons to doing it.

Anybody else done it?

Any thoughts as to the best clematis to use?

Thanks.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

I think it would work well.  Have a look at Little Nell or Betty Corning for clems with pale, bell like flowers or Blue Angel/Blekitny Aniol if you like the more open flowers.   Florida Sieboldii is really quite tender so not a good choice if you get to 5C or below in winter.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

If you like a strong colour - Rouge Cardinal would work well. Very floriferous and smaller flowers.

I've been looking at one ( been looking at lots image) called  Sweet Summer Love which Thorncroft have. It flowers late summer into autumn. Reddish/purple with lighter colours as it fades. It's also scented.

They also have Etoile Rose which has rich pink, bell shaped flowers.

All  for hard pruning early on. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

FG is right.  A strong red would look good or  strong clear pink like Princess Diana or Graveteye Beauty.

"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Thanks for all the suggestions people!image

Sieboldii looks good Verdun but I suspect it wouldn't do very well in my garden if it's a bit tender (cold, wet clay & surprisingly exposed).

Little Nell looks good too obx but - thinking about it some more - yes maybe a bolder colour would be better...

I was only thinking about paler colours because the pink elder flowers look lovely against the foliage in spring. But the light changes as the seasons progress and the elder leaves get darker and bigger so a stronger pink into red might be just the ticket. I like the look of Rouge Cardinal Fairyimage - a lot!

Unfortunately I've lost a "Princess Diana" Obx - don't know if the texensis are a little tender or whether they don't like my heavy clay soil. The viticella planted in the same border is incredibly healthy and happy.

Keep the suggestions coming please. 

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,295

Hi Topbird,

Another good red one to consider is Rebecca ..... does well in my clay soil here in south Scotland.

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-rebecca.html

It's a group 2 but I treat it as a 3 and give it a hard trim.

I've got a Black Lace under planted with Millium effusum 'Aurea' to lighten things up a bit ... but I think a clematis would be lovely.

Bee

Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • imageimageimage

I have 112 different Viticellas in the National Collection here, here is Negritianka, Carmencita, Hanna

Last edited: 28 February 2017 19:20:51

Definitely not tender TB.  My P. Diana in Belgium coped with -25C on a regular basis and gre more vigoous ever year.  Betty Corning in the same bed was also a good doer and so was Hendryetta.  However, Sunset and another whose name I forget really struggled.

Plato
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Carmencita and Hanna are particularly beautiful Richard image 

Rebecca is VERY red isn't she Bee Witched? Definitely one to consider for another spot I can think ofimage

Interesting about Princess Di Obx. She just never really seemed to get going and didn't make an appearance at all last year. Still in the ground though - I read somebody's comment on the forum sometime ago when they had a clematis suddenly start growing again after a 3 year no-show!