London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
8 messages
24/10/2012 at 13:58

Has anyone sowed Viola seeds, are they easy or difficult?  I have a lot of seeds collected this Autumn and was wondering whether to sow some now or just buy the plants.

24/10/2012 at 21:03

Easy to grow from seed especially if you want a specific colour/variety. They are slug food IME so do protect. It is probably too late to get a reliable germination this late in the season, but you could try sowing some now, under cover/in a coldframe.

I'd also buy some plants as well, as the seeds, if they do germinate they wont flower well until quite a lot bigger & the colder weather/less light will prevent that happening. J.

25/10/2012 at 08:53

Violas seem to be prolific seeders so I thought I would give it a go and see what happens. I will also buy some plants to put on the garden table, away from nasty slugs. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

20/05/2014 at 09:30

I bought 3 packets of viola seeds from last year's Gardeners' World Live, Viola sorbet "Denim" & "Coconut Swirl" & viola teardrops "Pink Blush".

I'd like to sow them to (hopefully) have flowers in a window box next spring. Could anyone advise the best time to do this please? I have a cold frame & greenhouse, but I think the greenhouse would be too hot at this time of year. All advice gratefully received. 

11/10/2014 at 19:13
13/10/2014 at 14:39

The germination temperature for violas is 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit, and germination time is 10-20 days at that temperature, longer if it is cooler. They need darkness to germinate so either cover with a very thin layer of soil/grit or germinate in a dark place.

Allow about 4-6 weeks for blooming. For example for autumn blooms you would start germination at the beginning of July. If you're planting in a window box I would suggest you won't have a problem with slugs or snails. I've never had this problem with violas in containers at ground level and I have plenty of slugs in my garden. Neither have I had a problem with violas that have self-seeded in the borders from my baskets. My slugs, anyway, leave them alone. Maybe it's because I have other plants that they prefer?

13/10/2014 at 15:07

Thanks soulboy - I went ahead and sowed them around mid July & had a very successful germination rate.

They are flowering away, not just in the window box but in a couple of tubs as well. When I look at the price of plants in the garden centres, they have proved to be great value for money, and I'll definitely grow them from seed again .

13/10/2014 at 20:51

I sowed some about a month ago in the hope that they'd flower in spring. They did germinate pretty well, but have largely stopped growing now, which is probably as expected.

email image
8 messages