Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Violas or pansies. Which is superior?

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348
I havent really taken to pansies ever but violas are different. They are more classy, longer lived and more subtle. When their flower power diminishes in mid summer I cut them hard back and they will flower again in a few short weeks. Also I split them then to secure more plants that will flower shortly. Pansies are brash, gaudy and ungainly.......spoken to stir debate but I guess they are ok....ish!

• I have a pot of little purple violas on the terrace outside my back door - they were blooming when I planted them in the autumn, the bloomed over Christmas, they were blooming when the snow started falling - they were buried under about 9" of thick snow for at least a week, probably more - when they emerged they looked very sorry for themselves, but 10 days after the snow had melted they were budding up and now their little faces are smiling up at me whenever I open the door image and the perfume .... it's wonderful, absolutely wonderful  - I love them, they beat pansies hands down 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Yep, Violas get the thumbs up from me every time, great plants. 

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Another vote for violas.
  • I love Violas, they always look so dainty. But, I like Pansies too, I have quite a few panies in my front garden and I must say in their defence that they flower their socks off every year, Even if they do go a bit leggy after a while I just cut them back and off they go again. Now Violas, I also have these in my front garden, and I have to say they look so sweet bobbing in the breeze and yes I have to agree Verdun they are more classy but I can't help it, I love them bothimage

• I like both.

• violas get my vote.

• NolaNola Posts: 209
    I like both, but if I could only have one or the other I would have violas.
  • Verdun wrote (see)
    Hiya Dove, do you know what variety those violas are? I've grown many varieties over the years but never been aware of their scent. I'm quite tall so maybe I need to bend down more...ha ha. So, consensus is violas are the winners

I bought them from Notcutts, the label calls them Viola Violet Blue and says they were produced by http://www.farplants.co.uk but I can't find anything about them specifically on their website.  

The day I bought them I got home and I unloaded some stuff out of my car and then took a phone call - when I went back to the car the violas had been in the warm car in the sunshine for about 10 minutes - as I opened the door the perfume hit my senses - it was lovely - and even in the winter, if they get some warm sunshine on them and I bury my nose in the pot there's that beautiful scent again image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Viola for me