Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Violets

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

I was just wondering if anyone else has these little beauties in their garden.I only recently discovered I had some,in a large clump behind the bird bath under the flowering redcurrant.Self seeded and I found another clump with the white flowers,I just love it when flowers self seed.Its almost as though they chose my garden as their home,ridiculous I know image

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Lovely aren't they, Fishy? I planted some several years ago, now they come up all over the place, even in the lawn!image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Each spring as a child I used to pick bunches of wild sweet violets, wrap them in damp moss and a plastic bag, then in a foil-lined shoe box and post them to my granny image

I found some growing when we moved here and my daughter gave me some more from her garden.  We planted them in the Little Wilderness around one of the seats, and they're spreading image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Wow!  I haven't seen Violets in years Fishy65!   It isn't ridiculous about saying it's almost as if they've chosen your garden....you could be right!!

You've made me think now, I will have to get some for my garden..

Keep watching over them Fishy65...image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Thanks guys for the lovely replies and its great to see I'm not alone in being a fan of these wonderful little chaps.Yesterday I thinned out some yellow daises that were threatening to over run them...these daises are gorgeous but can be bullies if not controlled.

Looking on another thread here I've begun to wonder if they might be dog violets.Though the leaves have a somewhat serrated edge to them,which made me think the sweet variety.

• If you look at the spur at the back of the flower and it's paler than the petals it will be a dog violet, Also the dog violets have no scent. image

• everoseveros Posts: 55

I bought one small clump from the GC now they've spread all over the garden like a weed.  I think they must be dog violets as they have no scent.  A bit disappointed.

• Don't be disappointed. Mine are common dog violets and I think they are a beautiful wildflower. Certainly the wildlife in your garden will like them. image (Do check the back spur of the flower though and see if it's paler, if not you might have something else) Or pop a photo on here for people to check for you.

• everoseveros Posts: 55

Yes, I've checked the back spur of the flower & it's much paler, almost white.  I didn't think it would spread all over the garden like a weed.

• I leave any seedlings that pop up when I'm weeding out any other unwanted plants. I use them as a ground cover in some of my borders and they have spread about a quite a bit, but I love them so don't mind. They are easy to dig/pull out if you don't want them. It's only a weed if you don't want it!image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

We have tiny little violets that pop up in the front lawn and seed in tiny cracks.  Some people might think they were a  lawn weed but we love them.