London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
13 messages
23/10/2013 at 15:03

I am looking for expertise and experience...2 thngs I have not got...

We have the most beautiful Virginia Creeper (the colours at this time of year are truly amazing) growing up 2 sides of the house and we would like to propagate some more to grow in the space it has not crept into as yet.

How do I take cuttings?...Can I take them at this time of year?...

Thanking you in advance

23/10/2013 at 15:07

Are there berries on the plant?  I've heard that it is really easy to grow from seed.  However I am no expert on ornamental plants or their aesthetics.

23/10/2013 at 15:27

Crumbs that was a quick reply Farmergeddun...

No there are no berries...only squillions of leaves of the most amazing colours...it really is a lovely show at the moment..

23/10/2013 at 16:36

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/start-new-virginia-creeper-old-plant-34768.html

Have a look at this link. full instructions there.

23/10/2013 at 16:59

Thankyou Dave...Will put that on the job list for tomorrow...

23/10/2013 at 17:02
511 wrote (see)

We have the most beautiful Virginia Creeper (the colours at this time of year are truly amazing) growing up 2 sides of the house and we would like to propagate some more to grow in the space it has not crept into as yet.

Thanking you in advance

This will be of no use to  you, Carmic...but I would just like to say I agree with what you say.

This is a delightful little cottage near me and it looks beautiful at this time of year.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/PA030001.jpg

23/10/2013 at 17:08

Can you help me on this? How you save your plants for pests around this, because i find these pests really bad for my plants they ruined all my work i jsut want to get rid of them. 

23/10/2013 at 17:12
David K wrote (see)
511 wrote (see)

Thanking you in advance

This will be of no use to  you, Carmic...but I would just like to say I agree with what you say.

This is a delightful little cottage near me and it looks beautiful at this time of year.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/PA030001.jpg

WOW David thats beautiful.. 

23/10/2013 at 18:10

About 18 months ago I pulled a piece off a Boston Ivy (also a parthenocissus) where I work and it rooted very easily and is now a decent sized plant ready to go in the ground. There was a bit of a heel on it and I just stuck it in a pot to see if it would take. Worth trying the same thing!

Great pic David! Where I work it's in an old building and the south wall is covered and looking lovely just now.

Paige, I'm not aware of any real pests on Boston Ivy/Virginia Creeper. They always seem pretty trouble free. 

25/10/2013 at 21:33

My experiance of Virginia Creepers is to cut off a bit, any bit, and stick it in the ground and watch it go. I have just rooted a 2 inch wide cutting that was 8 inches long in no time at all. Try hardwood cuttings in November, and some more in March and I'm sure you will get at least 99% take.

Many thanks

-Matt-

25/10/2013 at 23:08

My Virginia creeper has turned into a pest. It gets on the roof and into the tiles and I have to pay someone to remove it as it causes damage, especially in winter when the roof stays wet and freezes. It seeds itself into my flower beds and sends creeping roots underground where I don't want them It's even got into the veg garden on the other side of the house. I threw some out into the woods and now it's romping away across the trees. It smothers my magnolia Leonard Messel and my Gloire de Versailles ceanothus. It may be beautiful but I've gone right off it.

26/10/2013 at 14:19

Yes, be careful of Virginia Creeper. Once you've got it you can't get rid of it.  We spend a lot of time each year trying to keep it under control. 

26/10/2013 at 18:22

I remember reading somewhere about a gardener pulling it down, shredding it and putting it in their compost bin...guess what ..hundreds of rooted cuttings. My guess is it will readily root,

email image
13 messages