Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Virginia Creeper

catnipcatnip Posts: 73

We live in a semi-detached which is pebble-dashed. I would like to grow a Virgina Creeper up a South-East wall. I know it is self-clinging but is it safe to grow in strong winds? I don't want the plant pulling pebble dash off the side of the house- the idea is to make it look more beautiful and for the plant to live!

Thanks and a happy new year!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I've never seen it fall off.

Have you got a plan for stopping it when it gets to the top?

Before it gets under the tiles.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Melrky 587 it is not acceptable to promote your own business on this forum - advertising should be paid for.  Your post has been reported to the Moderators. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• catnipcatnip Posts: 73

thanks for advice- does anyone know of a climber which grows about 12 feet?

I'd have wires or trellis and grow something that didn't adhere to the wall. That would also dictate how far up it could go. It would give you a far wider choice, roses, clematis, jasmine and all sorts of goodies.

• catnipcatnip Posts: 73

You're right nutcutlet- was trying to do it the lazy way! Imagine winter jasmine entwined with a summer clematis!

Or a scented rose under the bedroom windowimage

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Think you're on the right track now! I have Virginia Creeper planted by a previous owner and I hate it. I have to pay someone to keep it under control or it gets onto the roof - too high for me to deal with. It seeds itself where I don't want it, like in my herbaceous borders, it's even in the veg garden. It ignores glyphosate, just goes red then grows back again! I pulled a load up and chucked it on the heap in my woodland and now it's romping off under the trees.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.