Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Walnut tree and climbing rose

seakaleseakale Posts: 142

Is there a climbing rambler rose that will grow up a walnut tree. The said tree is about 40 feet high

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I thought walnut trees did something to the soil around them that stopped other plants growing (although i might have got that wrong).  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I'm aware that walnut trees give off a toxin into the soil which prevents some plants from growing nearby - I've done some googling and this link has some interesting information and suggests that Hybrid Musk roses will grow successfully in this situation http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/difficult/msg0610432911950.html?20 

Good luck image  I'd be very interested in how you get on.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..yes there are, several... what colour do you like..?

• seakaleseakale Posts: 142

I saw a Himalayan musk growing up a tree ay Wisley in a wooded area.  I don't what tree it was as almost totally smothered by rose shoots and rose brambles.

our tree has a very tall trunk, so I just thought  a rose would brighten up a cornera corner

Mail wizzed off before I could add, I have no preference on colour

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..all about trial and error with this I think.. as you can see from the American forum quoted by 'Dove'... you could write to David Austin's, or Peter Beales, famous rose growers, or the National Trust even, and see if they could recommend any in particular, however you'd most likely get an admin person replying and I'm not sure if they would have the experience... not many people have big Walnut trees in their gardens, or are adventurous enough to grow a rambler up it... I might also ponder whether I would want to adulterate the tree in such a way...  I've grown ramblers up Willows...Elders...Hawthorns..Apples.. and even Magnolia, but never had a Walnut to use...

...however, I would be surprised if 'Paul's Himalayan Musk' rambler would be intimidated by it... this is the one you probably saw at Wisley... a pretty pink... others like 'Lykkefund' [creamy yellow]...Rose-Marie Viaud [purple/mauve]...Alberic Barbier ...amongst others...  some modern ramblers like 'Malvern Hills' and which repeats, will also grow much larger than is advertised...I have found this to be capable of well over 20 foot...with seemingly endless growth...

..I might try 2... one each side of the tree, with the view to take whichever one out that performed less well... which might result in a difficult decision after a couple of years... I would also plant well out, to the outer regions of the trees branches, with canes, to train the shoots towards the tree's centre...

...nothing ventured...nothing gained...

Off to do some rose research.  Mention of growing roseswthrough apple trees, are the trees old and non fruiting Salino.

The walnut was in garden when we moved in, a tiny sapling planted by Sir Cyril Squirrel in earlier times.