5 messages
16/10/2013 at 09:54

Hi all

We recently moved from the UK to Dubai and have just bought a couple of gardenias for our balcony. They're in tall pots with plenty of soil, but we can't guage how often we need to water them. They're in shade for most of the day but get a few hours of direct sun before sunset, and it's now starting to cool down here, so around the high 20s celcius, plus the humidity has really reduced.

Should we be watering them daily or every other day here given the warmer climate?

Thanks!

16/10/2013 at 10:13

I would say just to keep the soil evenly most but not waterlogged. A soil Moisture metre can be quite useful, quite cheap to buy online

16/10/2013 at 17:24

Thanks Matt. I guess it'll take us a while to work out how much it drinks in this heat as well.

Do you need to leave the moisture metres in for it to work or could we get one and use that for a few plants? Don't suppose you can recommend a decent cheap one online can you? We've got a couple of rellies out next week and I can order one to them to bring out....!

16/10/2013 at 18:51

you could try giving it a litre of water or so a day, that would help to stop the waterlogging issue.

The moisture levels tell you immediately the moisture in the soil at the roots.

I think I got mine from Wilkinsons for a few pounds (mines a ph tester too)

http://www.wilko.com/garden-accessories/guardman-ph+moisture-meter/invt/0261281

20/04/2014 at 08:23

Ive recently purchased a gardenia (it was labelled an indoor plant at Bunnings), but apparently its meant to be grown outdoors?..We live in the country, but its getting quite chilly now. Ive been watering her daily, approx 1 litre (as advised by a relative). However, ive noticed its bottom leaves have turned yellow. Am i killing my plant off? She's in a large pot. How often should i be watering her, and how much?

email image
5 messages