Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Weed or Flower?

TinglyTingly Posts: 140

Found this in my garden. Is it a weed or a flower. It didnt sting when i picked it if that helps!

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

Jack-by-the-Hedge is a local name for it.  Wild flower in the country lanes - weed in the garden.  It seeds itself prolifically.

• TinglyTingly Posts: 140

Thanks shrinking violet- i shall kill 1st thing to tomorrow - dont want any jacks by my hedge!!

Shallow roots - easy to pull up and dispose of rather than resorting to other chemical means.  Looks like you have caught it in good time, though!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

food plant for the Orange Tip butterfly larva. Think about that before you get the chemicals out.image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

I like it.

I'd never heard tell of an orange tipped butterfly until I saw one on my verbena yesterday. I had to look it up because I thought it was all funky and exotic. It is to me! image

Nutcutlet - perhaps it depends on where the original poster lives.  If, like me, it is in rural spot, there are lots (and lots) of these plants growing in the wild.  It would probably explain how it came to germinate in a domestic garden.  So the Orange Tip is likely to have more than a sufficiency of plants for habitat (they do here in Devon, and are very pretty butterflies - much better than cabbage whites, at least).

• TinglyTingly Posts: 140

Ooh , i will pull rather than chemical kill then-. Im defo going to google orange tipped butterfly first though!