London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
7 messages
14/10/2012 at 20:58

Hi

We have a weeping rose tree in a pot which we plan on planting out next year.....girl at the garden centre told us we dont need to hide it in the garage as long as we protect the pot over winter. Any ideas what we should use to protect the pot and do we need to cover the soil or the base of the tree? We have stopped feeding it but I take it the soil should be kept moist over winter? Should we prune it again now or wait until the Spring? Sorry for all the questions!!

Thanks

14/10/2012 at 21:04

Leave rose pruning until February

If you can't plant the rose out until next year- just put some bubble wrap around the pot to stop the roots from freezing-but quite honestly it would do better in the ground.

14/10/2012 at 21:11

Thanks sotongeoff, its just that the garden is a mess and didnt want to plant it somewhere we subsequently didnt like....will give the bubble wrap a go I think

Thanks again

15/10/2012 at 09:44

With regard to our other question yes, you need to keep the soil moist.

15/10/2012 at 10:18

I grow lots of roses in pots and do not have any trouble over wintering them. I prefer to keep mine on the dry side.

15/10/2012 at 12:41

Horticultural fleece over both the rose and the pot will help - bubble wrap can get very wet inside and if it then feeezes the pot can break, most care is for the pot not the plant as roses in pots do fine whatever the weather throws at them.  If we are going to get the temperatures we did 2 winters ago, then two layers of fleece with newpaper between them should cover most eventualities - it has done so here so far, East Midlands.   I agree with Cristopher2, I keep them on the dry side - just allowing whatever falls from the sky to keep them going.  We never water in winter, this applies to just about all our many pots. 

15/10/2012 at 16:07

Many thanks folks

email image
7 messages