Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Weigela in containers?

LordswoodLordswood Posts: 59

Does anyone know if it's possible to grow Weigela in containers.

I took some cuttings from my daughter's garden last summer which are now in 5 inch pots, growing well and in full flower. The flowers are very pretty and slightly scented, so I would like to have some near the front door. Alas no soil - a gravel drive.

I've seen weigela as hedging so I know it trims well, but I'm not sure about growing it in containers.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

I've grown a variegatedweigeilia for years,in a large terracotta pot about 18" across obviously you won't need a container that large for your seedlings, but it was wn established shrub when I potted it.

I scrape off an inch or so of the compost, replace with fresh and scatter in a handful of dried chicken poo pellets every spring.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Theoretically you can grow anything in a pot as long as you provide everything that plant needs. For a shrub you will need good compost preferablly John Innes 3 and you will need to feed. As long as the pot is big enough for the plant it should be ok.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Had my wigelia in a pot for about 5 years,with reg feeding,it is still going strong.

• LordswoodLordswood Posts: 59

I shall pot them up with confidence. Thanks.