Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Weird mutant bluebell?

Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

We have loads of bluebells running wild in the garden. They're probably a Spanish/English cross. Today I found one really strange one, which has grass-like growths protruding from the flower head.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?

• HCAHCA Posts: 129

Hi GM,

That's interesting, I have only seen something like this once before.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Probably an example of fasciation, where something happens in the plants development.  Very interesting.  There have been threads and pictures of different plants before so try a search on fasciation.

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

Wow, that is weird! I must post picture of a really weird foxglove we have. Or we might have a thread for monster flowers and plants?

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

Aw, that's a shame, Tetley, I was thinking I could collect the seeds and make my fortune!

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

Perhaps if I act quickly I can set up my garden as a Bank Holiday attraction and charge my neighbours to come in and view the Mutant Bluebell.

Actually, the grandkids are arriving soon but I doubt they'll be interested - they're more intrigued by the electronic cat-scarer, because they can hear it and I can't.

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

Oooh, I will take a picture and post it. My hubby and I are really morbidly fascinated by our mutant foxglove... In our old pony pasture we found a fasciated buttercup, but by the time I went back with the camera, my ponies had trampled it image.

(sorry for piggybacking on Magpie's thread, I really find plants' weirdness endlessly curious)