London (change)
Today 9°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 8°C
4 messages
24/05/2013 at 15:21

Two years ago my daughter was given a red rose on valentines day. When the flower head had died It looked as if the stem and leaf were still healthy, so I dead headed it and trimmed the stem then just pushed it into a pot in the garden. You can imagine my amazement when it started to throw out some shoots and then produced a beautiful red flower and then two flowers last year and looks to be doing even better this year. This year my wife was given eight yellow roses for mothers day, so I decided to do the same. out the eight six are growing. My question is :- I was always told that roses should be grafted onto a wild rose stock and wont grow any other way. I did notice that the roses Ive planted were of  the thorn less variety would this make a difference?. Ive never heard of this happening before (I,m 53) Have you? 

24/05/2013 at 15:27

Roses were, maybe still are, grafted onto wild rootstocks commercially. Roses will grow from cuttings as you've found and you won't have any of the suckering problems that you get with grafted roses

-
24/05/2013 at 20:50

There were roses before grafting, so I always give a try with the cuttings I get from

pruning. The picture is of a rose which grew this way. It is identical with the mother, 

but far, far weaker. That is the rub, grafting is not for aesthetic purposes, but for

the strength and sturdiness of the plant. Better put it in the ground, since roses are

not happy with pots. Wish I had room for mine...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24080.jpg?width=562&height=350&mode=max

24/05/2013 at 21:11

I thought that roses were grafted because it only uses one bud, whereas hardwood cuttings use a lot more material I.e. A foot of stem with 8 to 10 buds. If you are propagating up  a variety for sale, then budding is most economical. If you only want a few for your own garden, then using prunings as hardwood cuttings means plants for free. And as nutcutlet says, no problems with suckers from a wild rootstock.  I grew three Rosa filipes from seed. One of them flowered a week later than the other two , and had a blush pink bud and larger flower. I took hardwood cutting from this one and it now runs over a hawthorn , and is higher than the house. The main stem is thicker than my arm. Absolutely gorgeous for one week in June, and lots of rose hips for the birds in winter.

email image
4 messages