London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
41 to 60 of 124 messages
25/04/2012 at 22:15

Thanks Alina,, I must be doing something wrong,I can't seem to brows all my pictures  Only the ones I don't want to use .

A.M
16/05/2012 at 21:58

This year I've gone seed planting mad! (Poppies, Rudbeckias, Sunflowers, Helicrysums, Branchycome Daisies & various veggies too) My windowsils are full. Brachycome Daisies are growing well but long & leggy. Can anyone tell me if they are a trailing plant please? Thank you.

16/05/2012 at 22:32

Some help needed to identify a plant. It has leaves similar in shape to a caster oil plant but the leaves have the same texture as a cheese plant. I've grown it outdoors for years, it's evergreen, and in a sheltered spot stands up to snow and frost, it like's sun and drinks alot of water as it's  grown in a pot. I've seen it in a neighbours garden and it will grow to 6 or 7 ft. I've kept it at about 2ft and grown it in a bush shape, it's branches, if you can call them that are formed after breaking off the leaves like a yucca  but I don't have a picture. Any idea's as to what it is...   

17/05/2012 at 07:42
Fatsia japonica?
17/05/2012 at 07:53
A.M wrote (see)

This year I've gone seed planting mad! (Poppies, Rudbeckias, Sunflowers, Helicrysums, Branchycome Daisies & various veggies too) My windowsils are full. Brachycome Daisies are growing well but long & leggy. Can anyone tell me if they are a trailing plant please? Thank you.

Brachycombe is a very pretty trailing plant - trimming it back will help it to bush out  I take cuttings from my plants at the end of the summer for the following year and in the Spring if they are getting a bit unruly have been known to take the scissors to them without any detrimental effect

Pam x

A.M
17/05/2012 at 20:11

Thank you Pam. Very helpful advise. I hope to plant them outside in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed for successful blooms!

20/05/2012 at 20:53

Hi, I can't seem to upload a photo of a mystery flower!  It's a jpg, but when I try to add to a post, I get an error message saying 'image is not a valid file type. Please check and try again'...?  What type of file should it be?  Please help.  Thank you!  Helen

20/05/2012 at 21:33

It should be a jpg, and under 1 MB in size - perhaps it's the latter that is the problem?

20/05/2012 at 22:00

Thanks Alina.  The image is under 1MB and is a jpg, but it still won't let me upload it.  BUT....I have managed to save the image as my profile photo, so will ask if anyone recognises that!  Thanks for your help. 

28/05/2012 at 21:07
Is it a Lantana?
29/05/2012 at 19:57

Yes, it looks like lantana to me

16/06/2012 at 14:44

Hi everyone!  We're finally enjoying our autumn years, and instead of buying plants each year we're looking to save money and enjoy gardening further. I'm a great fan of Carol Klein and the way she explains how to propagate plants.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  We have sweet williams in our front garden and would love to know if we can get new plants from these, or how to get their seeds? Can you help please?

16/06/2012 at 15:36

Seeds are easy to obtain from sweet williams, just leave the flower head on and as it dries give it a gentle tap everyday, when it rattles the seeds are ready. Use a brown paper bag to collect them in. I sow mine straight away. 

18/06/2012 at 14:15

does any1 grow Delph's,? this 1 went mad, 6'8". Is it a record,?

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8951.jpg?width=375&height=281&mode=max

12/07/2012 at 21:12

Hello Steve, I don,t know if your Delph is a record breaker but it,s certainly impressive. How ever did you keep the blasted snails off!!!!!!! Lost mine to them

23/07/2012 at 17:19

hi  i have just brought a coffea arabica (coffee plant) plus acamellia siensis var.Assamica (tea camellia) from the Eden progect and would like some advice on what type of compost they need and what size pot they need . At the moment they are in three inch pots  in the green house but out of the sun  

24/07/2012 at 07:30

Ive decided to do away with lupins in my border although I really like them they are over now and look very straggly. Im going to be brutal and take out a hardy blue geranium as well. I started last night but was forced in with the midges. Im thinking compact plants have to be hardy(highlands, Scotland) any suggestions.One idea I had was of  sweet williams for lots of colour. I have a cottage garden Id say with neat grass and edging.

09/08/2012 at 16:38

Hi inthegarden, I am growing coffee from the Eden project too. I bought them last spring and they have overwintered well. I have them indoors at a east facing window with my orchids. In the summer they like being mist sprayed like the orchids, seem to like the orchid compost ( I'd run out of any other compost and they needed repotting urgently), with a spot of bog standard compost mixed in at the bottom. They need to be dryer in the winter and they seem to like the orchid fertilizer in drip containers? I have one lot bunched up as arrived and the other lot I spead out into individual plants. They are both doing well. I had some previously and have discovered South facing they don't like, nor being cold and damp in standard compost in winter. Slow release compost pellets are good too. Good luck!

10/08/2012 at 09:25

Thanks Queen TI  will try your way suggtion

14/08/2012 at 13:22

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10820.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

Hi can anyone help identify this rose? I aquired it when I moved house 12 years ago and Im ashamed to admit that as a very novice gardener that I completely neglected it. This is the first time it has flowered (I repotted it, fed it and nurtured it last year). Its rewarded me with a spectacular bloom and heavenly scent! Sorry If Ive posted this in the wrong place - Im a novice.

Thanks for helping

Kay

41 to 60 of 124 messages