London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
121 to 135 of 135 messages
17/07/2014 at 22:31

Hi Dovefromabove, wow sounds like some beautiful weather your way too. I struggle here with the gardens, its banana palms and hibiscus area of the world and all I want are cottage plants and things i can pick. Last summer we got up to 38C and then the rain mid afternoon, the garden was boiled, lost everything except my roses in minutes, the humidity is like walking into a sauna. But we gardeners are a strange lot, I refuse to give up, last WINTER I grew hollyhocks, they grew really well, I had cars stopping outside of the house and people got out to see this strange plant, no one knew what it was!!!!!!!!!

17/07/2014 at 23:01

..hi Rosie... I know what it must be like for you..been to Queensland a few times... but you do grow lovely Frangipani trees... Leucadendrons.... Callistemons... Bougainvilleas...  at least I used to see them in Brisbane...    I loved the Callistemons until I found that actually we can grow some of these here too...  now they seem a bit ordinary in comparison...

...but it's too hot to garden most of the summer isn't it?... too hot to go out...lol...  love all the foliage plants though...so many planted for shade...  fond memories of my visits there...  Phoenix Canariensis is one of my favourites..used to see it a lot in New Zealand.... it does grow here in sheltered places...  I have family in Wellington and Brisbane...

..I should add...lovely tale about the Hollyhocks..lol... it's the same here when people see Bottle Brushes I think...

17/07/2014 at 23:28

Hi Salino, yes, must say, the perfume of the Frangipani fillsl the air and its beautiful. In summer I really don't venture out in the garden after 9 in the morning. When I first moved here from NZ I would go out with a pot lid and make a huge amount of noise to get rid of the snakes before I weeded!!!! My winter garden is full of limes, tomatoes and chillies. My husband banned Bougainvilleas, they grow about a foot overnight here and the thorns got him many times.

Yes it was funny about the Hollyhocks, I gave away hundreds of seeds to neighbours, they were really fascinated, I even had people come and take photos, so funny!

18/07/2014 at 00:19

...I don't remember seeing many snakes but the NZ Weta sure scares the h*ll out of me...lol... strange, weird creatures.... I have a little fake one here sitting on a table... thank goodness it's fake..!

...never realised Bouganvilleas were so thorny.... like our rambling roses I suppose...

nice to have your own limes.... I should like that...

28/08/2014 at 18:37

Hi Fellow Gardeners

please could some one help me, is this plant a weed that's taking over my garden or a plant that needs to be taken control of. When I cut this plant back, it gives off the most horrendous smell but it's growing out of control, then it grows with more vigour !!! I feel sad about this as the bee's love the flowers, which are white and shaped like a bell, it grows up by my frog pond but now it's started sprouting in other places in my garden please help !!!!! 

http://webkit-fake-url://E5C0C802-D4AF-4D56-9543-35796A6FBF44/imagejpeg

28/08/2014 at 18:50

Hi Vivi, to upload a photo start by clicking on the tree in the toolbar.

I'd start a new thread as well, call it weed ID or something that people know what it is

28/08/2014 at 19:33

Hi Fellow Gardeners

please could some one help me, is this plant a weed that's taking over my garden or a plant that needs to be taken control of. When I cut this plant back, it gives off the most horrendous smell but it's growing out of control, then it grows with more vigour !!! I feel sad about this as the bee's love the flowers, which are white and shaped like a bell, it grows up by my frog pond but now it's started sprouting in other places in my garden please help !!!!! 

http://webkit-fake-url://E5C0C802-D4AF-4D56-9543-35796A6FBF44/imagejpeg

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/57927.jpg?width=350&height=350&mode=max

28/08/2014 at 19:34

Thanks nutcutlet

I'm new to all this hope the picture has come through now ????????

28/08/2014 at 19:36

Looks rather like Comfrey........makes good liquid feed or helps to activate your compost heap.  As you say, Bees love the flowers but it will seed everywhere if you let it

28/08/2014 at 20:05

I think you're right Philippa

28/08/2014 at 20:22

Big picture Nutcutlet..........I can do big pictures ( well, sometimes anyway )

28/08/2014 at 20:30

I've returned your PM Philippa

28/08/2014 at 20:46

Thanks Nutcutlet...........will PM tomorrow.......chicken herding now

12/10/2014 at 16:46

Hello everyone. Just new in the community. Love to see beautiful plants around.

12/10/2014 at 17:30

Hi Daany and welcome 

email image
121 to 135 of 135 messages