Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What annuals can I sow for summer colour?

Ryan LloydRyan Lloyd Posts: 395

Wondering what annuals I can plant in small(ish) terracotta pots for summer colour, ones that are good for bees too?

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

Cosmos, marigolds, nastursums. Go for open flowers not doubles or pom poms to attract bes.

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Chives too image
  • Ryan LloydRyan Lloyd Posts: 395

Thanks guys for all your help! Must get some seeds a.s.a.p.

How do I sow them though? As I shall probably buy them online and they usually come without instructions?

Hi Verdun, I've decided on cosmos, marigolds and a wildflower mixed packet. Oh, wasn't aware Lidl's sold them and thought poundland's seed couldn't be any good because of their price, are they good quality still then? Adnd yes, I have an unheated 6x6 glass greenhouse, 2x 4 tier unheated growhouses and an unheated coldframe and a conservatory taken over by plants image

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Ryan, I've bought lots of seeds from £ land over the years. Nought wrong with them. image Best bargain ever was a couple of years ago - a packet of nasturstiums with 6 different varieties in them.

The only problem being I've got them forever now imageimage No matter how many seed pods I collect. I get more and more each year. Good job I like them.

Aldi's good for seeds as well - got some Nigella for 89p image

Thanks Guys, I went to my local GC (just got back) and I took you advice Verdun and bought:

1 x Red Phormium 'Cherry Sensation', 1 x Convolvulus Cneorum, 3 x Red Geraniums (didn't have Pelargoniums) and single marigold seeds.

I will buy some Concolvulus Mauritanicus seeds online, as they didn't have a plant in the shop.

I'm also going to poundland tomorrow, so I'm expecting to buy a lot of cheap seeds and bareroot plants image