Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What are these two rockery plants called ?

I found these two plants on my local market but they came without labels and the man selling them wasn't helpful. They were displayed with the succulents and alpines. Could anybody help me with the name of these two plants as well as what type of plant they are? My additional problem is that both these plants are teaming with greenfly and I don't seem to have any ladybirds. I don't know what sprays to use with not knowing what type of plants these are. I also love these plants and would like to research them to buy more. Thanks so much Nenah
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/8355/dyoGjD.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/1528/QwWPJF.jpg

• The cream and green one has a rubbery/waxy feel to it, may I add.

Thanks so much

Nenah
  • DaisydayDaisyday Posts: 373

They look like Alpine plants to me Nenah. The second one looks like an Alpine phlox which I have. It bares little pink flowers if it is the same plant. It will be easier to identify them when they have flowered. image   

• arneilarneil Posts: 313

the top one looks like a plant my Granda grew in a rockery , he called it snow in summer , cos it had white flowers all summer

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

The first one looks like snow in summer - a bit of a sprawly thug!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • As for greenfly you can just squish them with your fingers or use a soap & water solution image 

• Thanks so much for all your help! The one in the first photo is indeed Snow In Summertime. I'm going to buy some more off of eBay now I can source it.

I still wish to know the name of the plant in the second picture, Someone mentioned Phlox, I'm unsure if it's Phlox as I have one of those (pink candy stripe) and its different from the plant in question.

It's cream and green, seems to be growing fast and spreading. It feels waxy/smooth, just like a succulent does. So far I can't see any buds and I'm not sure if it does actually flower or not. The leaves on the very edge some of them have a slight pink tint.

All this help means the world, thank you xxx
  • NGCARDS - I tried the soapy water trick on the Snow in Summer and the next day half of the plant had wilted and looked like it had been burnt by the soapy water, and the fluffy coating of the plant has come off in areas and formed clumps of the fluff. I've had to cut all the dead off and I'm gutted as it had grown so much. It seemed like it really disliked the soapy water so now I'm worrying how to keep on top of greenfly. Xx
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

I think your 2nd plant is Silene uniflora 'Druett's variegated'... it should produce white flowers very shortly.   Plant in full sun...

• Salino, I think you are right! Just have done Google search and looks identical, thanks so much to you and everyone who's helped me to identify these plants. It means the world, thank you!

Xxx