London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
21 to 34 of 34 messages
03/05/2012 at 20:27

I think you're right Sue, I'll just have to wait for the flowers to solve the mystery...and then in comes rosad with a new candidate...it's described as 'an invasive weed' which is sometimes confused with phlox 

03/05/2012 at 20:45

I wouldn't describe Hesperis matronalis as an invasive weed.  It's a beautiful scented lilac flowering plant that I have managed to lose over last winter.  It is a bit like Phlox.

I think an american website might call it a weed.  Don't know where it comes from.

03/05/2012 at 20:57

Good to know Sue. However, apparently hesperis matronalis has hairy stems, and seems to have slightly serrated leaves, which mine doesn't.

03/05/2012 at 21:14

Doesn't matter at the moment whether what you have is considered a weed or a flower (a weed is really only a flower in the wrong place.) Enjoy the mystery, let nature 'do its thing' and see if you like the result. If you do, enjoy the randomness and unexpected beauty; if you don't, you know what to dig/pull out next year! Also, if you watch its full development you will be able to identify it more easily and the decision about keeping it or not will become obvious. All plants have their place in the wildlife chain and something, somewhere will appreciate it as a scource of food or shelter.  Go with the flow and let it grow...                                                                             

07/05/2012 at 11:10

Thanks to everyone who's replied. Quick update: I'm coming to the conclusion that they're both sweet william, as they both have practically the same flower heads forming now - didn't take a photo of the root, as couldn't bring myself to pull it up, just in case it is sweet william! I generally totally suscribe to the 'go with the flow' philosophy Jacquie, but need to be reminded sometimes, so thanks for that!

07/05/2012 at 12:26

Is the prize a week in your  luxury B&B in spain?

07/05/2012 at 12:48

Wish it was! A luxury B&B that is!

12/06/2012 at 13:17

Just to let everyone know who might have been wondering...... they've flowered and are most definitely.....sweet william!!! 

12/06/2012 at 15:27

Kate cant take up the prize-so have packed my bag and am at the ready to pop over-just need the signal-what is for tea?

12/06/2012 at 15:56

That's strange Geoff, Kate's already here....

12/06/2012 at 16:19

Damn-you have got me again....................

13/06/2012 at 16:55

Hi Lorea,

I have some very similar looking plants in my garden, but they haven't flowered yet so will just have to wait and see,

13/06/2012 at 19:49

Hi debanslow, 

I love them, so I'm really glad I waited before ripping them up 

13/06/2012 at 20:52

Hi Lorea,

I think I get a lot of the top one in my garden - let them flower one year and they had small pink flowers on them - totally insignificant so I pull them up as a weed.  Don't know what the second one is, as others say, it looks like sweet william and even if it does turn out to be a weed it looks like an annual that will pull up  easily.

email image
21 to 34 of 34 messages