Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 24 replies

Fairygirl

Looks a bit like my pet hate rosebay willowherb Sara but Loosestrife is similar so the one you planted could be that. If you wait  till flowers start appearing it's easier to tell and if it's widespread in the garden it's more likely to be a weed. You could search those online and see if they look like what you have. Rosebay has violet/purple flowers and Loosestrife is purple or yellow flowering, though there is a white one too. Some Euphorbias are very similar too so that's an option for the 2nd one as  well!

Can you take another pic of the first one from a bit farther away?

John Harding

My immediate thought was Rosebay Willowherb (I've only just seen this post so I wasn't one of the 35! As FG says, it's difficult to tell before the flowers open.

John Harding

Flowers on pic 2 look like Antirhinum (slightly out of focus) or am I looking at the wrong plant. On second thoughts re pics 1 & 3 the flower bracts look too large for Rosebay Willowherb: need to wait until flowers open!

I was thinking Vervain or Willowherb?

wesson

I do recognise the form and have looked through all my ref. books but still can't find the name...at first thought it might be flax, but the flower buds are more a daisy-type flower, a smooth leaved yellow thistle or hawkweed. very interested to see what opens...have no real idea what plant you bought, could be many things, but not I think golden rod... few books show wilflowers in their bud stage...

Advertisement

figrat

Lysimachia?

nutcutlet

Vervain is a slender little plant, not either of these. Tiny mauve flowers

I would expect yellow dandelion-style flowers on the top pic but can't suggest a name. Some of the leaves are suggestive of willowherb but not the flower buds. 

The planted one hasn't any distinguishing features for me

Fairygirl

nut you're  right about the flower buds not looking like willowherb. The etxra pix back that up I think.The second (original) pic is more loosestrife/willowherby. Not sure about that first one at all. 

nutcutlet

Definitely won't be getting rid of it then Dove, could be very useful. Vampires can be a bit of a pest and I've never found the appropriate treatment til now.

Lion S

Second one lookes like Phlox paniculata.

nutcutlet

Must be something that flowers fairly late in the season, can't see buds yet. Haven't got phlox, when do they flower?

Lion S

Phlox paniculata flowers (in a normal season) roughly from mid July onwards till the end of September/October. Could be starting to flower two or three weeks later as this season certainly has not been normal at all.

nutcutlet

Won't be long then. Keep us updated on both

Advertisement

Jim Macd

It isn't Purple Loosestrife nor is it an Eplilobioum, it looks like its in the Aster family as Nutcutlet suggests. The buds of the flowers give that away but which one I don't know.

How about Achillea The Pearl for the first one?  Although mine doesn't reach 3 ft.

Dovefromabove

Leaves don't look like any Achillea I know

Yes but Achillea ptarmica The Pearl has different leaves and it also has little clusters of creamy buds at the top of the stems.  Take a look at the Crocus site and see what you think.

Dovefromabove

I get what you mean Fairlea, but it still doesn't look quite right to me, the achillea looks more wiry and the mystery plant looks a bit more lush, but of course that may be growing conditions - we'll have to wait and see when it flowers