Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What are these?!

Hello! I'm new here so excuse me if I've posted this all wrong!
I have a plant growing in my garden and no one knows what they are! 
I've had all sorts of answers from Morning Glory, Pansies and 4 leafed Clovers! 

I also have another one thats just started growing so If you could help say what this one is too I'd be very grateful! 

Thankyou! :3

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

The first one is Oxalis.  Plus other weeds in the picture.

There is not very much information given for the second.  Height?  Leaves?

• Thankyou so much! image
    The second one is about 1-2 ft, Both flowers are on one stem divided in 2, Yes there are leaves, Urm...Not really sure what else to say about it image 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

What shape are the leaves of the second on? Are they eny of those we can see in the picture?

By the way, pull those oxalis out and get every little bit of their roots.  They'll keep coming for a few years and you need to be conscientious about getting them out every time.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Yes you can see the leaves, There at the bottom, With the beige/brown patches on them image 

Okay I will do! 

I'm pretty sure it's a ranunculus 

http://www.gardeningshopuk.co.uk/plants/ranunculus.htm

scroll down, there are some beauties on that site, and they come in lots of shades of yellows and pinks - very pretty and a popular cut flower. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

This Oxalis (O.tetraphylla) is not so invasive, and often used as ornamental where I

live, with pink flowers in summer. It has bulbs, and need to be stored somewhere

safe if you want to keep them.

The second is maybe a semi-double Ranunculus asiaticus, a little rusty, by the

way. A beautiful flower, though as most Ranunculaceae, not blooming for the whole

season.

• Thankyou!
    I'm a little confused thou, Are you telling me to pull up all the oxalis and bin them? 
    One of them had just started growing 2 little pink flowers.

Oxalis spread and spread and spread and just come up everywhere - they catapult their seeds and they travel quite a way so you can never keep them where you want them - they appear in pots where you thought you were growing something else.  

You can keep them if you want to of course, but don't say we didin't warn you! image

• SingySingy Posts: 206

I dont know anything about Oxalis but i did see it for sale last week in a GC, stange that they sell something which is as invasive as the writeup suggests.

Here is a link to RHS page on Oxalis

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=498