Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What are these?

imageimage

Hi there, I'm sure some of you might laugh, but I'm not sure what these plants are. They are in the beds at the front of my house. Please can anyone help identify them? I'm not sure if they're weeds or actual plants worth keeping . 

Thanks ????

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

Hi Lisa.

I'm not sure of the first one, the second one is a weed.image

• Hi Logan

Thank you for your help!  I shall be ripping it out shortly…  

ha ha! Ive got a lot to learn image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

the first looks like some sort of heuchera

the second, Chelidonium majus, Greater Celandine. No relation the Lesser celandine, 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thank you both Nutcutlet and Philippa smith2.  I have found an image of the flowering Heuchera and will keep it. 

As for the Greater Celandine - a weed as Logan said - thank you for the correct name of it.  I shall remove this plant.

Lisa image

Native wild flower, weed is a term of abuseimage

I like it, pretty leaves and flowers

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Lisa - yours has different leaves and may well be a form of saxifrage.  Best to wait until it flowers to see if it's a keeper.

A weed is just a plant in the wrong place.  I remember a walk in the hills near Barcelona where iberis grows wild in rough, dry gorund and my Spanish friend saying it was such a boring weed and yet in UK gardens it's considered gorgeous in the right situation.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532

It can be invasive if left to seed.image

but easy enough to removeimage, it doesn't spread by roots