London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 25°C / 15°C
6 messages
20/03/2012 at 15:21

I am looking for a climber to place in a shaded part of my garden, i been looking at some of the Clematis that grow well in the shade, but thought i should ask around to see if anyone has any good suggestions for Climbers that grow well in the shade. 

So any ideas? 

20/03/2012 at 21:32

Consider Holboellia coriacea. It thrives in partial to full shade, grows sell through trees and shribs, produces gorgeous, highly-scented flowers and will often make great fruit, hence the common name 'Sausage Vine'. The really good news is that the fruits doon't TASTE like sausage!

I suggest you Google Holboellia and look at the photos.
Tim form Eureka, California, USA

21/03/2012 at 15:47

Maybe Euonymus fortunei, normally grown as a shrub but climbs beautifully up walls. Hydrangea petiolaris, Akebia quinata, or like you say some of the Clematis. Good luck. www.alisonpike.com/blog/

21/03/2012 at 22:33
Honeysuckle, Virginia creeper
22/03/2012 at 10:37

I recommend Star Jasmine or Trachelospermum jasminoides it smells amazing especially on a summer evening and the flowers spray out. When it comes to clematis I always used to go for Indigo blues or deep violets for something a bit different.

22/03/2012 at 22:06

I agree with Mermaid, I have Trachelospermum jasminoides in a shady spot outside the back door, its smell and flowers are heavenly and I also have a blue clematis growing by it too in a pot, great choice! 

email image
6 messages