Start a new thread

1 to 6 of 6 replies

I am looking for a climber to place in a shaded part of my garden, i been looking at some of the Clematis that grow well in the shade, but thought i should ask around to see if anyone has any good suggestions for Climbers that grow well in the shade. 

So any ideas? 

Consider Holboellia coriacea. It thrives in partial to full shade, grows sell through trees and shribs, produces gorgeous, highly-scented flowers and will often make great fruit, hence the common name 'Sausage Vine'. The really good news is that the fruits doon't TASTE like sausage!

I suggest you Google Holboellia and look at the photos.
Tim form Eureka, California, USA

Maybe Euonymus fortunei, normally grown as a shrub but climbs beautifully up walls. Hydrangea petiolaris, Akebia quinata, or like you say some of the Clematis. Good luck.

I recommend Star Jasmine or Trachelospermum jasminoides it smells amazing especially on a summer evening and the flowers spray out. When it comes to clematis I always used to go for Indigo blues or deep violets for something a bit different.

I agree with Mermaid, I have Trachelospermum jasminoides in a shady spot outside the back door, its smell and flowers are heavenly and I also have a blue clematis growing by it too in a pot, great choice!