London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
21 to 40 of 72 messages
KEF
04/05/2014 at 09:45

I've got 31 that are on Verdun's list, didn't realise how many plants I had.

Shallots, spinach, kale & rocket.  

04/05/2014 at 09:47

If we are still doing this list I've also got the following which I don't think anyone has mentioned yet...?

aconitum, cytisus, coreopsis, cirsium rivulare, centranthus ruber, eremurus, hepatica, kalmia latifolia, leptospermum, lithodora, mimulus, physostegia, pickerel, rudbeckia, Salix, snowberry, typha minima, woody nightshade

04/05/2014 at 10:11

Please tell me why you aren't out there gardening instead of reading and writing long lists of plants?  Phew, you must all have time on your hands!!

And as for trying to avoid repeated names - words fail me.  Or is this just a Boast thread!

04/05/2014 at 10:12

It's raining  And we are only trying to help with Mikes book...

04/05/2014 at 10:29

If you want lists of plants, consult a plant encyclopaedia. I'm sure nearly every available plant that is offered for sale is grown by someone.

I'm very sorry, but faced with a thread like this my eyes glaze over and I pass on.

04/05/2014 at 10:34

Im guessing that Mike is doing a mini survey of what we've got in our gardens - so can comment on poisonousness....?

04/05/2014 at 10:36

A bit of fun, that's all Wo.

There are lots of threads I pass by on the forum, we're not all interested in everything.

Something for everyone, ignore what doesn't interest you.

04/05/2014 at 10:48

I also have Tradescantia various colours, Gaura, Clerodendron, Crinum Powellii Alba

KEF
04/05/2014 at 11:14

If contributing to this thread and others rather than being out gardening is a crime, I'm guilty. I have been waiting until it's a reasonable time to start mowing 1/3rd acre of grass at Mum's without disturbing her neighbours who might be having a lie in. If adding to Mike's list helps him and is a distraction for him I'm happy to join in.  

04/05/2014 at 11:35

It's fun reading through the other lists too  I like looking things up I haven't heard of before and learning alternate names.

It's like having a virtual poke through other peoples gardens 

04/05/2014 at 11:43

A virtual poke through. I like that Victoria.

You get a picture of gardens from the lists don't you? Maybe the picture is totally wrong but it's still good fun

04/05/2014 at 12:29

I've had a look through the posts Mike and thought by brain was going to explode with Verdun's list 

I don't think I have anything not already mentioned and presume you don't want specific varieties just species/genus (not sue which is the right word).

If I've read your OP correctly t's is the start of your book  Don't forget I'm first for a signed copy 

I too find it very interesting what other people grow, it would also be interesting to relate this to parts of the country, i.e. does one variety appear more often in gardens from the SW than the NW? I can't understand the negativity, this is a gardening forum and a bit of light hearted insight on a grey and miserable day  Love the 'virtual poke' Victoria, a bit like the garden gallery thread 

Lyn
04/05/2014 at 13:58
Welshonion wrote (see)

Please tell me why you aren't out there gardening instead of reading and writing long lists of plants?  Phew, you must all have time on your hands!!

And as for trying to avoid repeated names - words fail me.  Or is this just a Boast thread!

Welshonion wrote (see)

If you want lists of plants, consult a plant encyclopaedia. I'm sure nearly every available plant that is offered for sale is grown by someone.

I'm very sorry, but faced with a thread like this my eyes glaze over and I pass on.

I would not have 4 hours spare to do this, and then going through everybody elses post so dont duplicate, far too busy gardening.

04/05/2014 at 17:43

Got to agree.  Did my head in writing my list .....could have added more too.  ,trouble is when you compose such a list you  have to keep going.  Mind you, it didn't take me "4  hours".  10 mins perhaps!  This was a thread to ignore or go for it.........

Yep, I guess this is a boast thread really.  Perhaps though it gives an idea of what and how much we all grow ...

04/05/2014 at 18:32

I personally don't see this as boasting.I mean,as far as I go I'm hardly an expert on gardening,possibly intermediate at the very best.But I enjoy it which is surely the real reason why we do it? I don't pretend to be Monty Don and I'm still very much learning.There's certainly nothing 'exotic' growing in my garden,unless you classify Cosmos as exotic...

KEF
04/05/2014 at 20:05

Because I've been here a bit and have an idea without looking at profiles of where people are, it interests me to look at what they grow to see if it's something I'd like to have and could grow   

04/05/2014 at 20:14

Mike........perhaps not only what you grow but why ?............Other than what works in your specific location of course..........some people adore one type of plant, others hate them...........the reasoning behind who grows what may be added interest to your project.  The reason you grow something...........is it folkore, is it because your parents grew it and you remember it, is it because you want to try something new , is it because you want to impress , is it because you have a certain style of garden............the two together might prove more interesting than a simple list of who grows what

04/05/2014 at 20:22

Sitting on the fence here...it doesn't half make my bum sore.....I think it's up to each of us to post on any thread we want to.  It is nice to compare what we grow, can grow and how successfully we grow. 

I guess it is a tad too strong to call it "boasting".  I like to see photos on camera corner but rarely post any pics on the forum.  I have posted a few but it always seems like showing off.  But I will show off some summer stuff....for 3 reasons.  One, I like them.  Two, I want to see if others like them.  Three, maybe others will be tempted to grow them.  Oh!  and a fourth reason........it unites us on the forum 

The very best gardens are where the owners are proud of them regardless of how technical, clever or large they are.  Once met a lady who grew nothing but marigolds in her front handkerchief-size garden.  She oozed joy and, boy, it lit up her street.  

Enjoy your gardens folks 

04/05/2014 at 20:48

I love seeing other peoples beautiful plants and gardens and I don't feel bad because I can't grow them or don't have the space/ ability/ money.

People are proud of their gardening creations and I think just want to share them.

04/05/2014 at 20:51

In the original post Mike asked us to let him know what we grow in our gardens to aid him in some research he's doing - so those who've contributed have done it in the spirit of being helpful - not boasting.   

Of course there's no compulsion to take part, but I do think it's unkind to make judgements about the people who have responded to Mike's request. 

There are (believe it or not ) threads that I rarely or never contribute to, for various reasons, but I wouldn't dream of criticising those who do. 

As for feeling it's like showing off to post pics of our garden - I don't feel like that -there are far too many shortcomings in my garden for it to be showing off - but there are times when I'm so chuffed with something I just want to share it - sometimes I grab OH's hand and drag him to look at it - sometimes I grab my camera and share it with you lot 

21 to 40 of 72 messages