Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

what dunnit?

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Yesterday I attacked this enormous bamboo, several foot across, 10-12foot tall.

to this

and this

leaving only this 

and this in patches on my hands and forearms, little blisters and a lot of red

I want to know  which plant caused it. There was the bamboo, Eleagnus ebbingei, a bit of a lonicera and the usual stinging nettles and goosegrass which have never done this to me.

Any ideas? I have no giant hogweed and there were no other umbellifers involved and no euphorbias

In the sticks near Peterborough

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

I've googled these and while eleagnus ebbingei comes up with nothing regarding rash/itching etc.,bamboo and lonicera can affect people if they have an allergy to them. I'm assuming you've never had an allergy before nut, but could you have developed one? I never used to be affected by pollen but now have to take antihistamines daily to prevent nasal polyps. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Dunno. I currently look like I've been self harming with a razor blade. It was the brambles in the buddleja fighting back when I put it through the shredder.

Have you got tiny splinters in the middle of each blister?

Alternately could there have been some sort of biting insect among the shrubbery.?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't do allergies as a rule Fishy. I don't think it's an allergy though, more like the direct effect of something on the skin, like euphorbias etc. 

I can't see anything in the blisters fidget and it's rather spread about, it would be several bites, but I did stir up a lot of insects.

Self harming, I reckon that's it. My arms are well lacerated aside from this, and the little bumps of stinging nettles

It will get shoved through the shredder tomorrow, I'll see what that does

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

I gave you my advice this morning and you've clearly ignored it! That on your hand right there is retribution! image

Joking aside, it may be that you had a slight reaction to the bamboo but because of the volume of it, it has gone all nasty. You've overdosed on bambooy nastiness. 

Your next task is to take care of those blisters and ensure they don't become infected and horse some anti-histamines down your neck and a good smear of Anthisan. If you feel at all chesty or wheezy be off with you to A&E toot sweet!!!!

Thanks PP, there was, and still is, a huge volume of bamboo. I haven't got concerns about this, more an interest in what was responsible. Last time I had anything vaguely similar I knew it was a euphorbia what dunnit.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Hmm I have seen the rash/ blisters before  and it looks like a form of Contact  Dermatitis thru contact..with what ever you have been handling.. You could try an Antihistamine cream initially though I would show the rash to your local pharmasist and they may well suggest a 1% Hydrocortisone cream which you can buy over the counter...

I get a similar thing on my hands if I garden without gloves, it itches like hell and takes a couple of days to calm down.  Also allergies can be aquired and it very common in the 50 plus age group when they start to show up...  Trust me I'ma Nurse image really...   Cover up and use gloves before you put the debris through the shredder ok.. All the best..

Thanks BLT, shredding without full cover-up is a big no.

Been in the same trade, 15 years as a practice nurse.image but it all seems a long time ago now.

I think it's already subsiding a bit, I expect I'll survive this one.

Thanks for all concerns expressed folks, I'm made of tough stuffimage

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

Welding Onesie! image

Last edited: 05 July 2016 22:43:09

• BLTBLT Posts: 525
    nutcutlet says:

Thanks BLT, shredding without full cover-up is a big no.

Been in the same trade, 15 years as a practice nurse.image but it all seems a long time ago now.

I think it's already subsiding a bit, I expect I'll survive this one.

Thanks for all concerns expressed folks, I'm made of tough stuffimage

See original post

Well  I clocked up 26 years and did Practice nursing and Community Midwifery too... I am glad to be out of it too now, I knew ya got the 'Self Harm'bit from somewhere, we did used to see some sights didn't we..

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

I often n get a red itchy rash on my forearms after gardening. It isn't as virulent as yours, but the thing that helps me is to splash some witch hazel all.over the affected part. It may sting for a few moments, and then  it soothes the sore skin very quickly.