Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What exotic plants are you growing this year?

Hi all I am growing peppers this year and may try some hardier bananas what about you guys? Because I for one love exotics image 

• Rgardener1Rgardener1 Posts: 344

Oh and im growing the curry plant from the meditaraen Helichrysum italicum ????

• I'm growing ginger,a fantastic scent.

I'm growing shop brought Chrissy image 

im quite a 15 yr old Gardner and I just love exotics image 

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Same as every year - various ensetes, Musa Basjoo, Hedychium and other Gingers, hardy Schefflera and palms.

palms... I've always wanted to try them but haven't got round to getting seeds or seedlings yet image 

I have Tried germinating Ravenala madagascariensis but it's pretty much impossible image

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Stick to hardy palms - Trachycarpus and Chammies are very hardy, Washingtonia and the Canary Island Date Palms are half-hardy, perhaps more in a very sheltered spot.

Ravenala can go outside in summer but need to come inside or in a heated greenhouse in winter. They will eventually grow too big.

Yh but the Ravenala seeds failed so that's kind of bringing me away from botherIng blairs image But I really do like them