Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What happened when I was away?

BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431

I usually have a lovely display of  erysimum, but came back from holiday yesterday to find many of them looking like this - loss of colour on leaves and numerous holes  what has happened - and what should I do?

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

They are part of the brasica family and have been attacked by ??? cant remember the name now, mine look the same.  I'll remember it in a minute but by then someone will have answered I'm sure.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

Think they are called flea beetles.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Looks like leaf miners Berkley although check for small caterpillars - there seem to be a lot about affecting erysimums this year.  Not much you can do other than cut back , scrape a layer of soil from beneath them (to remove any leaf miner pupae which drop once they have eaten their fill) and replace with a bit of compost etc and give them a feed.  Leaf miner damage looks bad but doesn't cause lasting effects.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Think leaf miner damage tends to run in lines along the leaves rather than spot holes, but I might be wrong, I quite often am.

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 5,290

I had that on my yellow ones but not the purple! The yellow are a year younger suppose.

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

My Asters looked similar with leaf miner damage, however there wasn't so many holes only at the edges of entrance. Perhaps it's a combination of the two with caterpillars. Check thoroughly and whether you can see any tiny brown 'lumps' under the leaves e.g. tiny insects. 

Last edited: 13 July 2016 21:48:40

• ecokidecokid Posts: 138

Sadly, my new erysimum plants  also look the same after a few weeks. I found tiny green 'caterpillars' on mine (check any remaining buds for the culprits), which leaves me to believe they're either larva of the angle shade moth or Sawfly. It's probably due to our mild winter.

Last edited: 13 July 2016 22:21:52

• BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431

Many thanks for all your ideas. I can't see any sign of caterpillars but have trimmed back, sprayed, removed some soil and fed. I do hope they will survive ...... Just thinking ahead .... What do people think about preventative spraying? Would it be worth considering?

• Looks like the same problem I have with my poor old sweet pea.image

Last edited: 14 July 2016 21:49:51