London (change)
Today 18°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
5 messages
16/02/2014 at 20:00

So I've created a new flower bed in my newly acquired garden, and plan to sow cottage garden annuals (have a lovely little seed collection starting!) I'm so excited to get started, but today I suddenly wondered what happena after summer? Do they all completely die back, foliage and all, or do I pull up the remenants? Should I allow some self seeding for next year, or should I literally start afresh each yEar? There are a few evergreen (as of yet unidentified) shrubs but otherwise it's completely empty.  

Thanks in advance!

16/02/2014 at 20:09

Hi LH, the annuals will die when they've flowered and set seed. Then you can pull them up along with the inevitable weeds. 

Some are better at self seeding than others. You can save the seed of any of them to sow the next year, and/or let them seed where they are. You can't lose.

16/02/2014 at 20:11

I agree with Nutcutlet. Collect some seed but allow some to self seed. If you have poppies I would watch those very carefully as from my experience they self seed everywhere! 

16/02/2014 at 20:18

And same for love in a mist, that's ground-cover here

17/02/2014 at 10:02

When you sow them, sow in lines so you can recognise which are your plants and which are the weeds. They will die after the frost and you will need to pull them up. Before that you can gather the seeds for next year or let them self seed, but if you remove the dead heads they will flower for longer. You could plant bulbs to give some spring colour, which will have died down by summer or you could edge the bed with violas for winter and spring interest. Buy plug plants in autumn or little plants in the Garden Centre.

email image
5 messages