Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What has happened to my polyanthus?

BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431

I was so pleased with the polyanthus in my garden last year (picture attached). I added lots more in the Autumn - and this is what they look like this year. (picture attached). What on earth are the corky growths on each one? I planted some more of the same variety in a different part of the garden and they are fine.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

They do look a bit unhappy so it might be worth looking to see if vine weevil larvae have burrowed into the stems just below soil level. I have just had a similar problem with some primroses..

• BerkleyBerkley Posts: 431

Thank you for your interest. I will dig one up tomorrow. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

The ones in my window box look a bit sad too, but that is because a pheasant keeps standing on them to tell me to hurry up with breakfastimage

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden Posts: 862

I found the same thing had happened to one of mine that was in a tub today, I dug around and found lots of vine weevil grubs. Tomorrow I will empty out the whole tub and check out the rest. There are also lots of bulbs in the tub that are emerging, so I hope I can save them.

Very disappointed to report that I couldn't find any vine weevil grubs ( never thought I'd say that!). Only 2 degrees out there - but dug up about ten. Although the roots are sparse, there is no sign of them having been eaten away. Do you have any more ideas? I suppose I should remove all thirty plants. What do I need to do then? Thanks to everyone in advance.

You could try potting them up and giving them a lot of TLC but it might be better to just bin the lot and start again. Its far too easy to get emotionally attached to plants (I know.....I have a lot of things that ought to have been given the boot years ago) when sometimes it is just better to be brutal.

I think you're right. I'm going to dig them all up. Would you recommend treating the soil with anything before I replant?

Difficult to treat it if you don't know the problem. Maybe just leave it polyanthus free for a while, a bit like crop rotation in the veg patch.

Will do. Thank you.

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

I have just planted some polyanthus....  (plants) just hope they will be okimage