London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
8 messages
30/07/2013 at 08:47

Hi again,

I have another unknown for the knowledgable out there. This also came up amongst the wild seed that I scattered around this patch. It has not flowered at all, and I was wondering if it was just a weed or if something might yet develop.It is the taller green plant in the middle

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28397.jpg?width=290&height=350&mode=max

by the way Any help greedily received, cheers, cresser.

30/07/2013 at 20:20

wild or weed. depends how you look at it. When did you sow the seed cresser, that'll give us a clue re annual perennial or biennial.

30/07/2013 at 22:38

Cresser, did this look completely different when it was little?  Like this, for example?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28460.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

The above is the picture I posted on here to find out what that little plant would grow in to, -  a whacking great tall weed called a fat hen - the ones you see in fields with the red bobbles on great pointy stems  To me, your plant looks like one of those before the bobbles (which are all seeds, and there are up to 20,000 of them per plant, apparently!) form. I hope I've downloaded a link which would show you a big one, which I think looks like your plant. There are lots of dire warnings on the net about how aggressive they are and the ones that I now have came from expensive compost.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87106229@N05/7981644100/lightbox/

01/08/2013 at 21:32

Hi Nutcutlet and Sara4, thanks for your replies. I`m afraid I cant recall exactly when I put the seeds in, but it was some months ago now. Sara4, I think it did look a bit like your picture, but again I`m not sure - sorry to both for being so vague. I must admit, I think the plant, whatever it may be, is quite ugly and to be honest I cant wiat to dig it up and get rid. I wont be buyin anymore of those mixed seed packets again, I will select certain plants next time. Cheers again both, cresser.

01/08/2013 at 21:34

do you put niger seeds out for the birds?

01/08/2013 at 21:37

if yoyu don't like get rid of it. make room for something you like. I'm not keen on mixed seed. The quick and easy always germinate first and swamp later and possibly more interesting plants

01/08/2013 at 21:57

If I ever buy mixed seed I sort it into separate piles of identical seeds as far as I can and sow them separately to avoid the issue nutcutlet describes.  Time consuming and fiddly it is but I do like surprises and you never know what you are getting in some mixes.

03/08/2013 at 10:16

Hi all,

waterbutts hi, I have put them out in the past, but usually only in feeders, and most of the time I end up chucking them anyway. nutcutlet, & BobTheGardener, good advise both. I have in fact, now taken them up and got rid, and I am taking notice of the info so I don`t make the same mistake next year. Thankyou all for your help and advise, very much appreciated, cheers, cresser.

email image
8 messages