Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 27 replies

Budgie53

Hi. Hope somebody can help identify this plant. It came up last year, no flowers, leaves as much 12 inches in lenght and the spread was approx two and a half foot. Height about eighteen to twentyfour inches.

Dovefromabove

Bet it has flowers like this very soon - 

Digitalis 

Budgie53

Thank you Dovefromabove, will not dig it up then and wait for the flowers.

daydaisy

If it's not a foxglove it could be comfrey, they look very similar. Time will tell!

Busy-Lizzie

My foxglove leaves are a bit furrier, I'd go for comfrey, but hard to tell at this stage.

Advertisement

Could we have a picture of the whole plant? It sometimes helps to see the habit.

Budgie53

OK will do it tomorrow. Thanks

If it has a long tap root, it's comfrey - if so, cut off all the leaves, pop in a plastic bucket cutting the lid off so it sits inside, stick a brick on top, leave for 3 weeks , and hey presto, liquid manure. Stinks a bit but dilute 1:10 with water and use it for rasps, apples, and other fruit .

If it's foxglove, enjoy the flowers but don't cut the leaves off.

Budgie53

Hi Landgirl100.  Hope this helps thanks for your interest.

Thanks, looks a nice little border. Foxglove is still the best bet, let's hope it puts up a flower spike soon!

Budgie53

HI All.

Thanks everybody for all the info, will let you know and post photo of any flowers.

Hi. Had a close look at this and have been digging up comfrey all day.My Illustrated Book Of Herbs by sarah bunney has loads of accurate drawings and descriptions  - comfrey seems the best bet - their are white,cream,purple or pink flowers that pop up on long stems - bees love them much like borage. The leaves have many medicinal healing properties and are anti inflammatory but I wouldn't try crushing them to find out incase it's foxglove - all parts of this plant are dangerous and should not be touched. 

nutcutlet

I'll go with foxglove.

Advertisement

Busy-Lizzie

Be funny if it's neither and turns out to be a cornflower or something else!

Dovefromabove

It looks remarkably like this one

and yes, I've spotted that buttercup 

nutcutlet

I looked at foxgloves this morning, very similar, especially the curled round leaves so you can see the backsides.

Also looked at comphrey, the big one, Symphytum officinale doesn't look like that. The other comphreys look even less like that.

But give it another week or so and you'll know for sure

Can some one please tell me what this my son planted the seed at school butteacher didn't

write name on the pot when I ask her she said there were many seeds planted that day.

would like to know what it is so I can care for it probably asit seams to be growing strong