Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

what is it

jean6jean6 Posts: 157

• jean6jean6 Posts: 157

rediculous.. only way i ahve found to load is look at blank pic then wen i load it appears..anyway husband bought these at car boot..any one know what they are & how to propigate etc image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It looks like Centaurea montana.Perennial Cornflower or Knapweed are the common names jean. You can divide it up after it's flowered and replant. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

ah so does it over winter ok..live in the south east...just had a look & yes u r right...thanks for that.. hot enough for you..image

• catnipcatnip Posts: 73

Knapweed does suffer from mildew- make sure you water it a lot when it's still young. The bees seem fond of mine! Absolutely hot enough for me- you?

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

If mine gets mildew ( which it does most years) I just cut it back to ground level.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Mildew caused by hot dry weather isn't a problem we're familiar with in Scotland....image

May be a problem for some this year though- I'm getting a touch of it myself I think.. 

Seriously - it's common up here because it's hardy and reliable and we do get lots of rain normally so it always looks good.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Catnip... far too hot for me..i only come out at night lol...

in south east I am lucky as got no mildew.. am collecting seed now to sow in early spring...