Start a new thread

1 to 14 of 14 replies

Hi I wonder if anyone can tell me the name of this bush?  I have had it for a number of years but have forgotten it's name.  My daughter would like to buy one, so if anyone recognises it i would be so grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Heather Michaels

Ooh that's pretty. I haven't got a clue what it is (sorry Bumblebee!) but I'd like one!

X

Hi Bumblebee6, it's Leycesteria Formosa or Pheasant Berry

punkdoc

Yes I agree Leycesteria. Lovely shrub from the Himalayas. In my garden it thrives in some dappled shade.

why dont you see if you can grow it from a cutting?

Advertisement

Berghill

Even easier from seed! And usually there are suckers coming up from round the plant which are easily pulled up and grown on.

star gaze lily

Yes definitely pundoc and msbeehaven are right. Have one in the garden,  grows quite tall and spreads too. Quite easy to grow from cutting. ? I love it the flowers droop down, so pretty,  you must get one

Thank you so much for all your replies. I will be able to look it up now and will then have a go at taking some cuttings for my daughter. I love the plant especially as the flowers and berries are my favourite colour.  I will let you all know how I get on.

Watch out though ...can be a thug.  Not a favourite of mine but others love it

The ripe berries are edible, have a nice treacle flavour. 

I have the golden foliage version of this and the berries really stand out among the foliage, it seeds around and seems to be coming true from seed.

beautiful plant - the flowers make me think of little pagodas!

jatnikapyar

To each his own Verdun, I love them.as the "bunches" of berries in their caylaxes are sooo dainty, a touch of lovely purple this time of the year.Plus the birds love them, especially the black biirds. But I do agree that it seeds everywere! I don't know which is worst, these or Rowen seedlings. Thankfully they are easy to dig up.