Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 31 replies

The Bird Lady

I had intended to put a photo on here but unfortunately I keep getting an error message so just ignore this thread - sorry!

The error message is to do with runtime errors - can anyone help?

nutcutlet

The only thing I can suggest is making the photo smaller so it doesn't take so long. But that is just a guess

BobTheGardener

If you are using a PC, try a different web browser and/or make sure your photo is a .jpg and the file size is no larger than 1MB.  If you are using something else, let us know what it is as someone else here might have a similar device.

The Bird Lady

OK, so the file is a .jpg and is 762 kb and it loads into another forum that I use but not this one which is most frustrating!!!  The other forum is nothing to do with plants so that's not going to help!

Advertisement

nutcutlet

Can you describe the plant. shape of leaves, any flowers, berries, scent from leaves?

The Bird Lady

OK - I've just been out and taken new photos, it's absolutely pouring with rain so excuse the fuzzy bits but you should get the general idea (if it works).

The Bird Lady

No, that didn't work either - what a shame there's no preview option on this site so that I don't have to keep wasting time.  I actually did the whole process using Chrome this time but it hasn't helped.

The plant is now about three feet high, it has long glossy leaves rather like a Rhododendron but very glossy. It appeared about four years ago and is growing very well, it is hardy although we are in the 'soft' area of the UK where we don't get too much in the way of cold weather.  So far it has not flowered, I guess that's really going to be the only way of identifying it. 

Fairygirl

One of the laurels perhaps?

Woodgreen wonderboy

Laurels tend to be a lightish green, whilst rhodos are generally darker. Is it lighter than a Rhodo?

The Bird Lady

I did wonder about a laurel, it is certainly not a dark green, more like the green in the Gardeners' World offers banner on this page,

nutcutlet

and they seed around everywhere

Advertisement

nutcutlet

Laurus nobilis, bay

I think the plant being discussed here is Prunus laurocerasus, laurel. Though who knows, we haven't seen it. But light green says the prunus to me

Dovefromabove

Prunus laurocerasus, laurel - a very different laurel to Laurus nobilis which is the culinary bay. 

KEF

Relief, I thought I'd been cooking with a hedging plant.