Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What is this plant please?

This is growing in the greenhouse and may be a weed but I hope not as it is very pretty and I would like to add it to pots and use as ground cover under shrubs etc.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

It looks like a Persicaria bistorta, but there are lots and I don't know which one this is image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

1. imageMany thanks.  You are right, I have looked needed for tommies!
  • Sorry I appeared to have chopped some of my answer.  Should have read ... You are right, I have looked it up and it is Persicaria Capitata (as Edd says) and I shall be planting it in the greenhouse as that is needed for tommies!  Thank you both.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I spent a lot of my childhood hoeing sugar beet fields by hand and there's a wild persicaria that loves those conditions - it's ingrained in my memory - there was a pull-out of arable weeds from the Farmers Weekly on the wall in the boot room! 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• imagePerhaps it is a wild plant but it is rather lovely and I have already transplanted some of it in a little rockery.

Thank you everyone.