Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What is this plant?

Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Can anyone help identify this plant.  It was sent to me in the post from Northern Ireland by a lady who has now died.  It comes up every year after dying down in the winter.  It looks a bit like the indoor plant maidenhair fern but is definitely not a fern.  I have given clumps of this to friends who use it for flower arranging as it is very pretty and frothy.  It eventually flowers the most tiny insignificant flowers.  The stem is very thin but quite tough for such a delicate looking plant.  Any ideas folks?

• LiznessLizness Posts: 79

Thalictrum, I think

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Yes the one with flowers so small you can hardly see them. Meadow rue. Might be a native. I like this one for a not to tidy shady patch

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Yes, thank you so much Lizness and nutcutlet.  I have just looked your answers up in the internet and you are both spot on.  The mystery is solved.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

There is a tall yellow version which defeated my identification when I first saw it last year - about 5 foot high - that was a surprise, and rather gorgeous it was too. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

thalictrum flavum is tall and yellow but I think there might be others as well

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LiznessLizness Posts: 79

Hewwits double has pretty double lilac flowers and Delavayi has lilac with yellow anthers. Both are lovely, a bit different and good hardy plants