Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What is this?

Any idea what this is I saw it on my walk today, the bees love it, would it be ok to plant in my garden?

In a world where you can be anything, always be kind.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That's Himalayan balsam, seeds like mad.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Alien invader - destroy!

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • I will admire it on my walk & keep it out of my garden. Thank you for your replies

In a world where you can be anything, always be kind.
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    It is causing a dreadful problem everywhere. Pull it out after you have admired it. Seriously.

It is not native and it crowds out native plants.
  • It's notifiable! If you get it in your garden it could prove impossible to sell your house.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

To clarify:

Himalayan Balsam is not 'notifiable' and is classified as a 'naturalised non-native plant' but invasive.

The legal position is found here https://www.gov.uk/prevent-the-spread-of-harmful-invasive-and-non-native-plants

In summary it says:

Prevent the spread of invasive, non-native plants

You must not plant in the wild or cause certain invasive and non-native plants to grow in the wild. This can include moving contaminated soil or plant cuttings. If you do, you can be fined or sent to prison for up to 2 years.

The most commonly found invasive, non-native plants include:

• Japanese knotweed
    • giant hogweed
    • Himalayan balsam
    • Rhododendron ponticum
    • New Zealand pigmyweed (this is banned from sale)

You’re not legally obliged to remove these plants or to control them. However, if you allow Japanese knotweed to grow onto other people’s property you could be prosecuted for causing a private nuisance."

Himalayan balsam is an annual and whilst it is certainly causing real problems on riverbanks it is not going to prevent you from selling your house.  I think Iced Herb is getting it confused with Japanese Knotweed.

Hope that helps image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks for the clarification, Dovefromabove. I was repeating what I'd heard on a house buying programme some time ago. I know the plant is invasive, also that it's a problem by the River Severn in Worcester. Aware of this stuff just now as moving house soon.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Good luck with the house move image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks, had my offer accepted only yesterday, so some way to go yet. A new garden! Yay! image