Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What now for my indoor hyacinths?

I have two plastic pots each with 3 hyacinth bulbs sitting partly above the compost.  I got them from a GC when they were in bud and they filled my kitchen with colour and perfume for a good two weeks, but have since gone over and I have cut off the dead flowers.  I would like to put them in the garden at some stage to flower there next spring, but I'm not sure if you can do that with forced bulbs.  If you can, what do I do with them next?  Leave them inside and continue watering them? Or stand the pots outside till the leaves die down, dry them off and plant in the ground in autumn?

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380
    I always plant mine into the garden as soon as they have finished flowering, unless it's very frosty, they are very tough & always come up the following spring.
  • I do as Mark does - they grow happily outside - just flowering later around the same time as bluebells.  They won't have quite such full flower spikes, but are just as pretty for all that. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• as above although I did leave some in a pot from last year(keeping it the shed and brought back in dec) and it flowered but they need to go into the ground to flower well next year or new soil.image

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

I find that it sometimes takes a year or so for them to recover from being forced, but I now have hyacinths in all sorts of places where I have tucked them in after indoor flowering.  Seems awful to throw them out and quite unnecessary too.   It is true that they do flower slightly smaller, but the perfume is just as good, and once they get massed together as they years go on, they look great anyway, smaller or not. 

• Thanks all.  I will follow Monty's advice Edd.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I like the flowers slightly smaller, they don't fall over like the ones that are forced. I don't mess about, I plant them in the garden as soon as they've finished flowering and let them sort themselves out. Usually a bit deeper than they were in the pot. I'm getting quite a collection now. The cream ones are lovely

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I've grown cream and or white ones indoors all of my life - or I did until I got together with OH and the first year we had them he wheezed and wheezed and I could hear his chest creaking!!

Now I can only grow hyacinths in the garden.  Well, if that's his only fault I'll keep him image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

We are particularly fond of the blue ones as well - interesting that no-one seems to find the pink the best - they were  all that were left in the shops this week!   I expect someone will now say they love the pinks the best - well, someone should. 

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

My vote goes with the blue - grew them for the first time this year, but will do it again - luckily no wheezing here. Will plant mine out next weekend, and buy some tete a tetes to fill the container !

Just to demonstrate Nuts point about the collapsing spikes - they had to be rescued with kebab sticksimage

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

Couldn't resist the challenge image I do love the pinks -  but - I also love having a mixture.  And agree with everything already said, I love the way they fill the house with their beautiful scent and then I plant out when flowers have gone and love the surprise each year when I come across a little cluster in a corner of the garden.