Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What plant is this?

Janet ChJanet Ch Posts: 5

I got a sprig of this (picture inserted above)as part of a bouquet last October.  I've had it in water but the leaves never seem to die and it hasn't grown any roots--does anyone know what it is? Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Looks a bit like eucalyptus Janet, but hard to tell from the pic as it's not too clear. It's often used in bouquets. Is the foliage bluey green?  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Hester ScottHester Scott Posts: 181

Leaves look a bit on the long side but it could be myrtle.  Queen Victoria had it in her wedding bouquet.  If you crush a leaf is it fragrant?

• It's not eucalyptus.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

If it hasnt grown any roots and the leaves and flowers are still on it from last October, are you sure its not artificial

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Janet ChJanet Ch Posts: 5

Not bluey green--just a clear leaf green. I did think at first it was artificial because none of the leaves seemed to drop off the stem, but then I saw it was frequently growing tiny buds in the centre of the underside of the leaves,

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

It looks like florist's myrtle to me - often used as a  filler in bouquets http://www.wholeblossoms.com/flowers/myrtle-filler-green-1112.html

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Thank you. I clicked on the link and found Israeli Ruscuson the same page.  Wondering if it's that rather than florist's Myrtle?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Possibly, although I was going by the little flowers as well - why not take it along to a florist and ask?image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I googled Israeli Ruscuson and found a picture very much like mine. It said the plant is also called butcher's broom and the leaves are in fact flattened stems which is why it looks like the buds grow out the centre of the leaves.  A strange plant.  I wonder if it will eventually root if I keep it in water.