Start a new thread

1 to 10 of 10 replies

Hi. My first post. Anyone know what plant this is? The main stems are kinda woody, but the plant is bushy and fern like. The roots are kinda like bulbs. The whole plant is bushy needles and gets big, like 6-7ft.... woody, thin stems, soft needles. It's hard to root a cutting anyway, and I'm trying to ID it it. Thx!

Dovefromabove

Asparagus aethiopicus?  Sometimes called asparagus fern. Used as an ornamental plant - it has fleshy tuberous roots. 

poisonous to dogs and cats

Last edited: 14 February 2017 06:56:36

Lion S

Asparagus umbellatus maybe?

Dovefromabove

I'd agree Lion S that it's definitely an asparagus of some sort - hard to tell which with such a small plant - you may well be right

Advertisement

Lion S

Could very well be another species, Dove. Just putting in my 2 cents...

Lion S says:

Asparagus umbellatus maybe?

See original post

Hi LionS. Thank you for your reply! I think you are correct! I did some searching and that indeed looks to be the plant. Do you have any tips on how one would go about successfully rooting a cutting from this plant?

Cheers.

BobTheGardener

I think you will need to use root cuttings to propagate any type of asparagus and will probably need to wait until it is has a more substantial rootball.

BobTheGardener says:

I think you will need to use root cuttings to propagate any type of asparagus and will probably need to wait until it is has a more substantial rootball.

See original post

Hey Bob.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking too; to take a root cutting. Do I just plant a cut of the root in soil and keep it moist hoping a shoot will appear or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks!

Darrick

Last edited: 15 February 2017 16:26:19