Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

What plants go well with Freesia?

We just picked up 5 light pink Fressia plants from the garden centre. The plan is to put them in an island cut into the lawn where they'll get full sun. They are about 9 inches tall. How far apart should they be planted? What other plants will look good with them? Will the foliage stay lush and green after flowering until the autumn? It's surprising how little little information there is on line!

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I have tried to grow them several times and failed miserably, they are supposed to be difficult and need quite specific conditions.

This article may give you an insight

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/9188282/An-inside-tip-for-freesias-at-Easter.html

I would have a back up plan of dahlias or pelargoniums.

• Oh dear, Kate -- that article says they like a bit of shade - which contradicts what the instructions on our plants say! Last night we planted them in our south-facing garden where they get full sun all day. I'll call the garden centre today to see what they recommend. Thanks!

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 487

I've planted mine into a pot and they are coming along quite well. I've got them in the greenhouse at the moment so I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I have never grown them before. I hope they flower as they were my mums favourite.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

I planted some a few years ago. The ones I planted in the borders and in full sun, never came through. The ones in pots located in partical shade, just stunning !!

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

They go well with Sparaxis - aka Harlequin flower. They are both the same shape, size, contrasting flowers and Sparaxis has no perfume, so does not detract from the wonderful Freesia perfume. Freesia in UK are best in full sun - esp if you want the perfume.